partha dutta
1 Copper

start-up problem in dell inspiron 1545 laptop

when i am switching on my dell inspiron 1545 laptop a consicutive  10 to 12 beep sound is coming. after that it was asking for permission to choose any OS to start, where i have only one OS installed in my laptop. this problem is happening from last two weeks. my laptop is out of warranty period. can any one help me to solve this problem...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mary G
5 Iridium

Re: start-up problem in dell inspiron 1545 laptop

Always mention your OS when posting a question. A little more detail would also help. Can you actually get to Windows after choosing an OS? Have you tried to run the Dell diagnostics? Do that and include the extended hard drive test. Did you reinstall windows 2 weeks ago before this started? Your manual for Troubleshooting is here: support.dell.com/.../troubles.htm

0 Kudos
partha dutta
1 Copper

i am using windows vista basic OS. after choosing OS it is getting

normally started. i have tried dell diagnostics, but couldn't find any

solution. i haven,t reinstalled or formatted windows in last two

months. the problem has occurred suddenly. still searching for

solution. need help if anyone can.

0 Kudos
MicroTest
3 Zinc

Beep sounds are normally initiated by the BIOS and before  it accesses the hard drive or any other bootable device

Possible solutions:

1.remove battery and power adapter and press the power on button for a couple of seconds to completely discharge internal "leftover" voltages.Plug in the power adapter and see if it was successful

2.Check CMOS battery on mainboard- sometimes 10-12 beeps mean CMOS checksum failure (I do not know Dell's Beep code)

3.enter the BIOS and try loading  the "default values"

0 Kudos
MicroTest
3 Zinc

I forgot to mention:

Just to be on the safe side-remove the hard drive first and see if you still get the same beep code.Dell uses(as far as I know) a modified MBR - they might have implemented their own code....save your data in case of a re-installation.

0 Kudos