yogotie
1 Copper

studio 1535 will not resume

I got a new studio 1535 just last week and it will occasionally get stuck when resuming.

All I get is a blank screen, the power light is solid on and the CD eject button stays on.  This happens when the laptop is plugged into AC and when it is on battery power.  I let it sit for about 10 mins before giving up and forcing it to power down to get it to come back alive.

I just installed on the latest drivers last night and this happened again tonight.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix?  Is the laptop defective?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Sofu
4 Tellurium

Re: studio 1535 will not resume

You should immediately advise Dell of this problem.
John

My Dell system

Inspiron 1520 purchased 5 Feb 2008
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250:2.0Ghz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB
4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphics memory
0 Kudos
yogotie
1 Copper

I've tried to talk with DELL but they tell me it is because I've got 4GB of RAM in the laptop.

The OS doesn't even see more the 3.5 GB of RAM.  Can anyone give me some explaination as to how this can even be related to suspend?  Are they telling me that the OS is mapping hardware and memory wrong?  Should I just move to linux to fix this?

0 Kudos
Sofu
4 Tellurium

@yogotie wrote:

I've tried to talk with DELL but they tell me it is because I've got 4GB of RAM in the laptop.

I assume that the memory modules are those fitted by Dell and that two 2GB modules are fitted. Ask Dell whether they are saying that Dell supplied you with an unworkable combination of hardware and software.

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
Rob_FL
1 Copper

I'm having this same exact problems with a Studio 1535 as well.

4GB Ram, 200GB drop sensor HD, Fully loaded with all options.

The hard drive's been replaced, Vista reinstalled, All current drivers..

I specifically turned off hybernate due to super long save/resume times (which also were periodically crashing upon resume).

I too am hoping that Dell didn't sell me an unworkable combination of hardware/software.

It's just irritating as heck to have to boot the system up twice.. and find out my previous suspended work was lost.

- Rob

0 Kudos
Sofu
4 Tellurium

@Rob_FL wrote:

I'm having this same exact problems with a Studio 1535 as well.

4GB Ram, 200GB drop sensor HD, Fully loaded with all options.

The hard drive's been replaced, Vista reinstalled, All current drivers..

I specifically turned off hybernate due to super long save/resume times (which also were periodically crashing upon resume).

I too am hoping that Dell didn't sell me an unworkable combination of hardware/software.

It's just irritating as heck to have to boot the system up twice.. and find out my previous suspended work was lost.

- Rob

Have you tried running with only 2GB of RAM to see whether it is more stable?

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
yogotie
1 Copper

I also have 4GB of RAM and 200GB HDD with the drop sensor.

The problem is too intermittent for it to be the memory size.  If that was the case this issue would happen every time the computer resumes.  For me it has not been terribly predictable when it will happen.

I'm beggining to suspect the drop sensor of the HDD beause this issue seems to occur when I take the computer to/from work but it doesn't seem to happen if I just leave it on the desk.  My guess is the sensor is stopping the HDD during resume and then it getting stuck in that state.  Could be Vista is not sending the correct resume commands to the HDD.

That seems to fit what I've been seeing so far.  But I really have a hard time beliving the 4GB thing since suspend is putting the memory into a power down state and not flushing it to the HDD.

0 Kudos
Sofu
4 Tellurium

@yogotie wrote:

But I really have a hard time beliving the 4GB thing

Have you talked again to Dell regarding their advice that 4GB is too much RAM? You should stress that they sold it with 4GB. Therefore surely there must be another reason for the problem.

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
yogotie
1 Copper

It is the drop sensor on the HDD.  I opened the lid and it would not resume then I closed the lid and tapped the bottom of laptop and it immediatly came back alive.
0 Kudos
Sofu
4 Tellurium

Now you need to convince Dell of your diagnosis.
John

My Dell system

0 Kudos