Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 08-29-2016 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

studio 1537 media panel problems

hi there. i am having some issues with my new studio 1537. this is my second studio. the first, a 1535 was replaced by the 1537. both studios have the same problems.

at 1535, the eject - light was on, the dvd-rw was trying to eject, without having a cd in for several times, until it came off and all media panel buttons working correct. some times, the eject -key remained on and no other key worked, or the mute key was on and the pc didn't start windows at all. motherboard and media panel was replaced, but the problem insisted. that' s why dell hellas delivered me a new 1537.

unfortunately, the same problem appeared in it. a technisian came in my place and found out that tha media panel cable wan not properly installed on motherboard. that seemed to be the problem, until next day, when the eject - light appeared again. i reinstalled vista, upgrading to ultimate and solved the problem for about 15 days, when suddenly after "waking up" from sleep mode, the eject - key light on again...

i believe that must be a software problem with media panel or a hardware motherboard problem.... i'm waitin for media panel driver or firmware fix.

any suggestions?

ps: an excuse for my english.

acgiannopo from greece

Replies (152)
3 Silver

I don' t really think this is a media panel issue. there must be a pressing issue underneath media panel, or an electricity issue. i noticed that my panel got stuck 1. after using the battery, 2. after switching on my computer from all night connected on power supply, 3. after entering from sleep mode.

changing media panel usually doesn' t solve the problem.

2 Bronze

In that case is there a way to get it resolved???

2 Bronze

You should try going for the refund.

I ordered two times two 1737 where there were several issues. One was media bar, which Dell could easily fix by putting some tape on the media bar electonics, but for some reason they stick to this faulty design.
But Studio Notebooks main problem is the plastics case and hinges. The design is not at all notebook compatible, as too many features were put in cheap design. You should go for a magnesium case like XPS, Vostro or Latitude. You should ask for a senior sales/support agent for an exchange. I decided to go for Latitude.

2 Bronze

It's not a hardware issue though, because the media panel gets PMS only on cold boots. It doesn't do it after the 5-10 minutes and the panel functions properly afterwards. It is a hardware/firmware issue, possibly solved via a BIOS upgrade. The reason I say it is NOT software/OS related is that I experienced this phenomenon while in the BIOS.

5 Rhenium

I would like a Dell-Liaison to reply to this lengthy thread. So many of the Studio Lines are having problems.  Can't this thread be brought to someone's attention that can really help with these problems.  Customers should not have to deal with defective-out of the box products. 

Forum Member Since 2001

2 Bronze

Unfortunately I had not come across this link before I ordered my 1537 almost three weeks ago. After a couple of days of no problem use, you guessed it, on came the volume up. Then the disk eject. Then no functionality. Then all fine. I have had no crashing or booting problems but what I read here and elsewhere about this problem made me want to get it fixed. Not to mention the fact that it seems fair enough to expect an expensive and technologically advanced purchase to work flawlessly.

So on to Dell support and through the formulaic process of BIOS update and hinge cover reseat. And the similarly formulaic result of no improvement. I received an as promised phone check up from the service agent where I reported the continuing problems. He authorised a dispatch of replacement hinge cover which arrived first thing the next day. After reports posted here I was sure this would cure the problem. Part numbers matched with supposed failsafe parts and for two hours all seemed well. But the problems soon returned as bad and random as ever.

Interestingly, on day 20 of use I can now not get a reply from the direct email to the previously very helpful service agent. Nor could I get an answer from the helpline.

After reseating and replacing the hinge cover I was undaunted by the brute force approach to physically disconnecting the ribbon cable and this has allowed the machine to function without interruption all evening. I now think that, considering the problem only manifested itself as an inconvenience, this might be less of a problem than continuing to deal with Dell customer service. Even those who have received replacement machines continue to report the same problems. There is obviously something significant and inherently wrong with the Studio machines. So much so that Dell are unable to cure the problem. Hence their continuance of the same ineffective approach to solving it and now their reluctance to even answer my enquiries.

However the laptop is an otherwise great machine which I purchased for a great price. I am tempted to keep it in its disabled but otherwise working state now I have logged the problem here. But this laptop was an expensive purchase and is less than three weeks old so should a major manufacturer like Dell be allowed to continue flogging a defective product? I am curious to hear whether anyone has or knows of a Studio machine that is working with none of these media key issues?

Any help, updates or thoughts would be appreciated. Including what I could purchase of similar spec for similar money if I were to get a refund?

In the meantime, anyone who is coming here after researching for a possible purchase avoid the Studio range of laptops if you want to avoid malfunctions, frustrating then non existant customer support and the constant fear of what other horrors might lurk inside an obviously substandard machine you should be feeling proud and happy with.

2 Bronze

Hi Superdamo,

I tried the Studio with the console unpluged and it worked just fine, you just don't see the hard drive activity and don't have the quick key access to the eject button and so on.  Since the Studio line does not have an eject button on the DVD-ROM you have to eject through software.

I ended up returning my Studio and got a Lattitude E6500 for about 100 more dollars.  This laptop lacks some of the multimedia functions like the HDMI port and the webcam is .2 (640x400 ?) which is ok (works fine in Skype just lower resolution).  The Lattitude E6500 has its own set of problems though.  Mostly stuttering Audio.  Disabling functions like the E-SATA and the other radio on the dual-band wireless card seems to fix it.  Using the most recent drivers help too.  So the Lattitude E line has some problems too. 

So take your pick of what problems you want to deal with and what features you are willing to do without.  If you decide to return your Studio go to the support.dell.com website and put in for it now.  You only have 21 days to reqest a return.  You can use the web site to submit your request.  A rep will get back to you in a day or so.  Customer service was very good when I went through this.

2 Bronze

Hi ITGuysRock,

after having problems with four ordered Studio 1737 I took a E6500 and a E5500.
I have called Dell today for returning the E6500. Only E5500 had a good quality (maybe luck).
I will order a refurbished D830 which I know are good. Dell has too many problems with all new lines.
Maybe this has to do with all these restrucuring, like Support back to Germany (don't talk to someone from Bratislava).
Assembly and Shipment from Poland doesn't seem to work either.

At the moment I could only recommend to get a Dell from Ebay like old ones from Leasing.
There are serveral on Ebay Germany wirh warranty until end of 2010.

2 Bronze

I bought an XPS M1530 right before Thanksgiving and I too am having problems with the media buttons.

So which laptop has the media panel problem - Studio 1537 or XPS M1530? Or both?

I got my media panel replaced by Dell but alas, same problem continued the very next day. Now I'm having it returned for full refund.

3 Silver

i 've already sent an e-mail to Dell mentioning every problem my laptop has, and i am waiting for their response. I hope that they will give us an answer about studios...

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions