ernstig01
1 Copper

Re: studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Yeah I noticed it too. Sometimes when my system is idle the fan starts to spin at moderate speed and never stops!!! I have to restart to force the fan to stop.

Also still the fan turns on and off all the time. I'm getting mad.

I called technical support and they let me run some tests. I have to call them back to give them the results. Ofcourse the system test couldn't find any mistake. I think it's gonna be a long walk to convince them it's more a bios problem. *SIGH*

0 Kudos

I found something really strange tonight 😄

Maybe some of you know that the fan can get "stuck" at high speed for no apparent reason, which is a bug.

There are 2 ways to deal with this:

- reboot
- stress the cpu to raise the temperatures and "unstuck" the fan

Tonight i stressed the CPU with Prime95 to get rid of the bug, well guess what... when the fan debugs itself, it spins more slowly than when bugged! (remember that the temps are increasing here, so the fan should spin quicker!).

If proof was needed, well here it is 😛

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ernstig01
1 Copper

0 Kudos
AX-Turbo
2 Iron

Well good luck guys with this issue and Dell Online support. Since weeks they are quiet here. Studio 1747 has absolutely the same crazy fan issues, I´d told them since months, 10 times or so. Once Todd told us, the Dell engineers will process the open issues list (which contains this stupid fan issue among other things), and oh yes a new Dell ATI video driver and so on, "we keep you informed", "you can take us at our word" blah, blah ...result: nothing more happened since this, and I guess of course, nothing more will happen.

0 Kudos
1749studio
1 Copper

Hello

I've got the same problems... My one year old Toshiba 17" Notebook is a lot more quiet than my new studio 1749 (idle, core i5 520m).

Dell please develop the bios a4 with an improved fan behaviour!:)

regards

0 Kudos
ernstig01
1 Copper

It's hard to understand why Dell's not willing to solve this issue.

The Studio 1745, 1747 and 1749 have the same fan controller problem. You can read a lot around in these forums.

I have/had a lot of Dell notebooks without this stupid fan behavior. So Dell knows how to do. Why for this Studio series it's so hard?

0 Kudos
tomthbomb
1 Copper

Fantastic!

My new DELL 1749 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

The old DELL discussion board had some real help.

What has happened?

I7000, I6000, I9300, Mini 9, Studio 1749

I love them all.

Some are old & slow like me.

0 Kudos

Soooo.... i noticed someone opened a topic about a fan getting stuck on the M11x, NBR forums has one too.

Does this mean that a monkey escaped the zoo and managed to enter the same lines of codes in several laptop's BIOSes?

Come on guys! At least tell us that you are working on a fix for this, don't give us the silent treatment or we will have to yell.

0 Kudos
delta101
1 Copper

Hi,

They've replaced both the heatsinks and the motherboard on my notebook. The problem is the same.
Like other people said, I think it's a fan controller issue and they should release a new version of the BIOS as soon as possible.
I wrote an email to urge them.

Bye

0 Kudos
alintatoc
1 Copper

Hi guys

Same problem for me also. I bought an Inspiron 1564 couple of days ago and fan has the same issues.

I think I will have to return it back to the shop because this problem lasts for a while now and I don't think Dell will come up with a solution.

I feel disapointed because I really love the model...

0 Kudos