February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

10 Posts

April 26th, 2010 14:00

I got reactions it affects also the Inspiron 1564. They have similar issues like the Studio 1745 1747 1749.

Common Dell I know you can do better.

7 Posts

April 27th, 2010 11:00

More confirmation.

On/off whirling with my Inspiron 1564 (Intel Core i3-330M version). Delivered 23 Feb 2010.

At idle, fan about 60 seconds on, 30 seconds off.

If we keep complaining, and publicising, perhaps Dell will act, or at least admit there's an issue.

April 28th, 2010 11:00

I have an Inspiron 1464 Intel Core i3-330M version, same issue with the fan noise. See post from other 1464 owners with the same issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19319992/19694489.aspx#19694489

The computer works great, but I have a hair dryer, I don't need my laptop to double as one.

Problem appears to be across the i-core line.

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 01:00

Hi,

Same problem here (1749, i7 620M), the fan speed makes yo-yo (not working / high working), even on idle.

The minimum fan speed, when working, is very high and makes noise for nothing

This fan needs better speed management, it is not a laptop for industrial usage !

Edit : And frequently the fan stay blocked on high speed while Components are cold cold cold..

Every 1749 users who discuss into forums report theses problems.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 02:00

Hey Guys,

same issue here...

Yesterday, Dell released a BIOS update A04. Can't see any improvement yet... hopefully the fan will not stuck futhermore.

Dell, Please pay more attention to this annoying bug!!

Thanks

10 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 14:00

Now when I think about it, it looks like Dell does really lousy jobs what about fan controllers.

Not only the Studio line, but I also read a lot about Inspiron 15xx models that have the same fan issues.

And finally don't forget about the infamous XPS M1730. They killed this beast by a really stupid fan controller. It lets the nVidia SLI GPU's fry. Fans kick in at 2000rpm on and of. GPU temps change between 45 - 78 Celsius when system is idle. By this differences in temps the soldering of the components got bad and the GPU cards got broken. About half of the XPS M1730's are send back to Dell and replaced by Alienware M17x under warranty. I've still an XPS M1730 working with 2 years of warranty left.

Can you imagine: Dell killed its top gaming notebook by bad management!:emotion-7: We asked Dell many times for a better fan controller to prevent our GPU's from dying without prevail.:emotion-9:

They prove themselves to be inefficient in this matter. I think this Studio 1749 was my last Dell notebook. Maybe I'll get an Alienware M17x within 2 years under warranty.:emotion-4:

26 Posts

May 4th, 2010 00:00

No way !!

Now I understand why my father's M1730 had its GPU broken in two years... Sadly, the warranty expired before the computer broke down. So instead of paying 700€ to have the GPU replaced, he bought another laptop, but not a DELL.

I guess that is what I will eventually do. I am so disappointed by DELL management. They have the best buying power of all, but very poor management. It's all muscle and no brain. No way my next laptop is a DELL.

10 Posts

May 4th, 2010 01:00

Because the XPS M1730 was expensive, I took 4 years warranty. I'm happy I did. This way I let Dell deal with the problem if my GPU's die. Still I hope it'll never happen, cause I like this notebook much. It's just a ticking bomb. When my GPU's will go to the eternal hunting grounds nobody knows, but I'm positive it'll happen someday.

I really can't understand them. To replace these machines under warranty costs them a lot of money, but they don't do something about it to prevent it. Does it have something to do with prestige between the different departments inside of Dell? Yeah sure!! Better lo loose money then to admit they're doing a lousy job! Dell really sucks if this is the case.:emotion-12:

I wonder if Michael Dell knows what's going on in is organisation.:emotion-20:

I also took 4 years of warranty with the Studio 1749. Their fan management sucks, but their warranty is ok. As long you've warranty left, you don't need to worry.

26 Posts

May 4th, 2010 03:00

Too bad I took only 1-year warranty. Guess I'd better start saving for my next laptop. LOL!

Dell is really doing a great job at sucking real hard.

6 Posts

May 4th, 2010 06:00

Having the same problem. Posted this on another forum.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspiron-dell-studio/458809-new-dell-studio-1749-a-16.html#post6215556

Heres the reply from DELL:

I can assure you that this is not a known issue. There may be systems that have this fault but there are million systems worldwide which are working fine. This issue will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Has anyone had this issue resolved through DELL ?

Not sure what i am going to do as i dont want to keep on sending the laptop back nor get a tech guy in on my dollar. Any idea if i can get a refund if not fit for purchase?

Since I started my machine up this morning the fan has been constantly on high. Heres a photo of my beloved laptop :

May 9th, 2010 09:00

nice laptop you got there :emotion-2:

my 1749 looks the same except it's purple :p

so far it seems every tech intervention about the fan issue did'nt resolve anything at all. So for now i would suggest either get a refund or keep them under pressure to get a fix.

I'm planning on calling Dell this week in my country (Belgium) to know more about this issue, at least getting it escalated like ernstig suggested.

I just hope people will not let this go on, Dell has at least to realize something is wrong. I don't even know if people don't have the fan stuck problem, some do not even know that this is a bug... they think it works like this because it is "normal".

And worse... the yoyo behaviour appears to be indeed normal for all the new lines of studios and inspirons. But normal only means they all work the same, it's not normal in my book :emotion-39:

1 Message

May 11th, 2010 14:00

Hello,

Recent owner of a 1749 I540, I tried to figure also why the fan was spinning so often while idle or under low activity.

I came across a pattern, but related to the GPU sensor (using Everest)
The GPU is heating up, slowly but constantly, even on idle :
- at 53 degrees the fan starts
- at 50 degrees, it stops
- the temperature rises again (meanwhile, the processor is fine at a 40-45 degrees Celsius)

Then, 3 degrees is small margin. That is just a relief of a few seconds before the next fan round.

Dell can probably tell what is the optimal operation temperature for the HD 5650.
Hoping that it is only a few degrees from 53 and then the BIOS can be updated.

Otherwise, we can only trust ATI will release its own BIOS to better manage its GPU and cooler.

Need to be confirmed.

JM

2 Posts

May 12th, 2010 17:00

We got a replacement Studio 17 w/ core i7 last month--after waiting 3 months!--when our first Studio 17 died after less than 1 month of use (that was a core2 duo, which one day suffered the  beeps of death and failed to post). The replacement Studio 17 has the fan problem just as described above. So infuriating.  Clearly, the temps are an issue on these machines, as is poorly programmed fan behaviour (why can they just run it for longer at a slower rate--at least that would not be as annoying as the constant on/off/on/off/on/freaking off!?).

What I am wondering, though, is if anyone for certain knows if the video card temp, the CPU temp or the system temp is triggering the fan response?  More to the point, I am wondering if replacing the hard drive (in my case the 500GB 7200k) with an SSD might lower system temps enough to at least decrease the frequency of the cycling. I have no idea if the HDD is a major source of the heat, but I have no faith that dell will deal with this issue, and it would be an easy (if somewhat costly) fix that I could make.  Just a thought.

System: Core i720QM, HD4650 1Gb, 4Gb, 500Gb/7200K.

10 Posts

May 12th, 2010 23:00

I am wondering if replacing the hard drive (in my case the 500GB 7200k) with an SSD might lower system temps enough to at least decrease the frequency of the cycling

I've an SSD (Intel X25-M G2) as the first HDD but the problem with the fan is the same.

Still hoping that Dell will fix this issue asap...

10 Posts

May 13th, 2010 00:00

I don't think it's an HDD temp issue. I tested my wife's Studio 1749 with temperatures while just web browsing. It looks like the fan controller reacts to the CPU temps. The GPU temps are still low. Maybe it's an i-Core issue what also involves the Intel architecture.

BTW, CPUID recognizes the i7 M620 cpu as an i5. Maybe it's just an i5 with higher clocks.

No Events found!