monabri
6 Indium

Re: studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Dell promised that an engineer would ring me on my mobile to arrange a time to 'fix' my 1749. The engineer did not ring.

Dell are not doing anything about this problem.

0 Kudos
monabri
6 Indium

Now Dell are not replying to my emails either.

Ah well, I'll never buy another Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey everyone,

I'm glad this thread is alive and kicking.

For everyone who is living with this issue, I think we have been more than patient on waiting for a fix on this issue.  I've been living with this problem for a few months now...and yea...it's still extremely annoying.  I've given Dell the benefit of the doubt...believing a quick fix was coming...but it looks like I will be disappointed. 

For people who are thinking about buying a studio 17...this will most likely happen to you.  Please refrain until they have a solution.  

Dell has been ignorant about this issue from the beginning...I get the feeling that there is nothing in the pipeline that will address this issue.  I can only hope that I'm wrong. 

and looks like pictures from the original post has been deleted by the forum moderators. what gives.....I don't really see a point in doing that..

So...the question becomes..for those who are living with the issue...whats next?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

+1 to everyone... except DELL. Oh wait... They didn't said anything, right ?

How come they can be so silent when people are so angry ? This computer is probably the worst I've ever had, and I don't see a way out. I feel stupid I bought this computer for the 2M camera, the brand new i5 and the 7200rpm disks... I think my next computer will have an average configuration, but I'll make sure it does well in tests and benchmark about general behaviour: performance, heat, noise...

I can't even understand how that kind of thing is even possible... I don't know either what I'm going to do with this computer: the noise annoys me so much, I had to deactivate all technologies like the i5 speedstep, and I still have a load of problems.

Forums won't help, customer service doesn't understand... Great.... Good job, Dell.

0 Kudos
eltettel
1 Copper

Dell: Stop deleting posts and start working on a solution to the fan noise issue for the 1747/1749 (or admit that there is no way to change this fan behaviour). This is not what is to be expected from a brand like dell.... Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Yes, please stop censoring our posts !! There is nothing wrong with what we say ! No one here has been polluting the thread with stupid insulting remarks. We express our anger and frustration with a product that came as a big disappointment. We are trying every way we can to find solutions, and Dell has been less than helpful on that.

When I ask my friends about their laptops with i5-i7, they seem pretty happy with it (heat and noise wise), so I don't understand why we have to bear this, and why Dell won't do a thing about it!!!

I feel it is outrageous to be censored like that nowadays!!! What is it ??? Dell has been bought over by the chinese government or what ???

I want to talk with the people here about the problem I have. I want to find solutions. And more importantly, I want Dell to take this problem into account, I want Dell to let us know what's happening !!!!

I am just warning that if this post gets deleted once again, I'll make sure the most people know about how Dell treats their customers.

0 Kudos
monabri
6 Indium

The "Dell" technician replaced the motherboard, fan & heatsink.

The problem was not resolved. Indeed, there is now an added problem. I have no sound.

The technician asked me how old my PC was - it's less than a month old.

0 Kudos
airgun
1 Nickel

Clearly it's a software or heat sink problem.  Either the fan control software needs to be re-designed, or the laptop needs a better heat sink to dissipate heat (I'm an electrical engineer).  Dell has lost me as a future customer.

For those of you looking for a cheap solution.  Get a  large, flat soft gel pack used for keeping food cold, or for first aid.  Keep it in the freezer overnight.  Put it under your laptop (inside a waterproof plastic bag).  This will keep your laptop cool enough so the fan does not start up for many hours.  Maybe get 2!

The HeatShift laptop cooler pads do nothing to solve this problem, other than muffle the sound a bit.  Even after freezing it.

I have tinnitus (ringing of the ears) caused by computer fan noise, so this fan problem is a health issue for me.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
monabri
6 Indium

And to make matters worse, I now have no sound. The Dell technician who replaced the MB lives in the same town as me (fortunate,eh?).

He diagnosed that the new MB was duff and to contact Dell again and ask for another MB.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

This OUTRAGEOUS !!! I just found this article on CNBC http://www.cnbc.com/id/37988443 about DELL hiding massive system failures they were AWARE OF !!!!!! They sold computers they knew were likely to fail, for 3 years !!!!!

I guess DELL will never solve our problem... In this article you will learn how DELL employees are told how to avoid talking about problems. It reminds me of the several posts that were deleted from this forum so as to prevent people from learning more about the experience of others.

This is SCANDALOUS. I feel our situation with this fan problem is very similar to what is explained in this article: there is a default in the design of the computer, but since DELL devoted itself to put low prices first, they prefer to ignore it and not "waste" time on a fix.

I don't think I'll ever buy anything from DELL again, because I have been very disappointed in how they treat their customers. I feel like a fool... I don't know what to do now.

Please share your opinion!

0 Kudos