February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

3 Posts

July 28th, 2010 09:00

Yes, I hear the fan go full blast, sometimes more often than every two minutes. There's also a faint  noise I hear (not the fan), I would desbribe the sound as a faint crackling, it's pretty constant, anyone else here this sound?  I turned off the volume and my pc was idle and I still hear it. It's hard to pinpoint the source of the sound.

1 Message

July 28th, 2010 09:00

I have a 1749 with a 520m processor.  Also noticing this behavior.  Can we have a BIOS option to disable Turbo Boost?  I have BIOS A05 released a few days ago and it still doesn't fix the issue.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2010 16:00

My new 1749 with I5-520 has the same odd fan that everyone here is talking about. While sitting idle the fan sounds like it turns off then the computer heats up and the fan kicks on, it cools down then fan off and it all starts over again. It does this every couple of minutes. Why cant the fan just stay on at a lower setting to keep it cool at idle and then kick on high when needed?

How about a program like speed fan to let us control the fan speed or a bios where we can agjust the fan settings.

Brandon

5 Posts

July 30th, 2010 20:00

I have the 1749 with the notorious fan problem.  I've accidentally discovered something that stops the fan noise.

I use the laptop as a desktop replacement in my home office.  I attach my favorite  keyboard and mouse via USB, and also a 2nd monitor.  To get the laptop's monitor higher, more at eye level, I balance the laptop on some stacked books.   When this is done, the fan doesn't turn on.  Peace and quiet, nice.  

The laptop is elevated about 4 inches off the desk.  The books are about 6x9 inches in size.  Possibly the increased air circulation keeps the laptop cooler.

2 Posts

August 5th, 2010 09:00

I updated to the new BIOS05, but NO change at all - the fan is still too noisy, changing speed all the time: start/stop every minute even on idle

DELL, please help!

5 Posts

August 5th, 2010 09:00

No not on mine. I was playing Battlefield (the new one) last night and the fans were working hard, not loud and they stayed on until about a minute after I stopped playing they stopped as I guess they had cooled everything down. Do I have a different Bios or something????

3 Posts

August 6th, 2010 06:00

Forgot to mention, mine comes with the i5-520M processor. 

3 Posts

August 6th, 2010 06:00

Same fan issue here. Just bought a new Inspiron 1564 today and the fan seems to go on and off even when I'm NOT using the laptop. This is VERY annoying. Is there a BIOS update to fix this yet? Will have to return the laptop if I can't find solution for this soon. 

26 Posts

August 6th, 2010 08:00

If you can't deal with this issue, you should return it. It's been 5 month I'm waiting for a fix.

There is no BIOS fix at that time. There is no fix in sight. They won't even acknowledge the problem.

This Studio 1749 Dell laptop is the most problematic computer I have ever had (out of dozens).

4 Posts

August 10th, 2010 04:00

I wish to ask a question to those who didn't have the fan noise problem.

Do you have reinstalled Win7 from scratch without the various Dell Utility?

3 Posts

August 10th, 2010 09:00

This is an issue with the fan controller in the BIOS .It doesn't matter what operating system you run on the laptop.

I'm returning the new laptop this week.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2010 09:00

That's right. It's a problem with the fan controller. But, someone in this thread affirms that he doesn't have any problem. If we have the same hardware, same bios and same os then I suspect that something else it's happening here. It will be very useful if we can exlude every other option. (For example, anyone with a Linux install?)

1 Message

August 10th, 2010 16:00

Just to register, I'm runing my Inspiron 1564 with A10 Bios version with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits and also with Ubuntu 10.04LTS 64bits and the fan issue is exactly the same.

I can confirm it's Bios issue.

Best regards,

Junior

August 10th, 2010 20:00

Hello everyone,

thanks for keeping this thread going like this!!

As far as the issue is concerned, the new bios (A05) is definitely an improvement over the previous versions (for me at least).

There were 2 main issues we wanted DELL to address.  They were:

1) The fan has the strange on/off behaviour, especially when the computer is sitting idling.  This is perhaps the most annoying issue. When the fan comes on...it is always at high RPMs and very loud.  As others have pointed out, the CPU temp is always climbing...regardless of CPU load (idle or full load). The fan comes on when the CPU temp crosses the 35 or 36 degree threshold, some have reported even lower.

2) When the fan does go on, sometimes, it becomes STUCK at high RPM.  The only way to remedy this was to put the computer to sleep...or to do a complete restart.

I cannot speak for others...but....it does appear the new bios (A05) has addressed item #2.  In my daily use of the computer since the re-flash...the fan no longer gets STUCK.  HOWEVER, item #1 is still not addressed.

Can anybody verify my findings?

2 Posts

August 11th, 2010 01:00

Since I installed A05 on my 1749, the "stuck fan" problem has gone away, but issue #1 is still at large.

No Events found!