February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

2 Posts

August 11th, 2010 01:00

Hi. I use parallel to windows 7 prof Suse 11.3 and the fan is just as loud. I can confirm that the new bios A05 is an improvement but it is far from acceptable.

@STUDIO17OWNER_93:  i can confirm everything under point 1). To point 2, I can not say anything because I do not have this Problem, mby anymore... after the bios upgrade

In my opinion, is the fan while playing 3d games far too loud or what you say? I really hope that DELL eliminates these problems, otherwise this was my last order from DELL!

4 Posts

August 11th, 2010 03:00

I have had my 1749 for 2 weeks now. It has the 04 bios in it and I think for now I'm going to leave it that way. The fan sticks most of the time on mine and I really do not think it is that loud. I would rather have it at one steady speed for now and keeping my system cool. I have been working for the last 6 hour and my current CPU temps are 29 and 31 and the max I hit was 47 and 51. By the way I have a 1749 with I5-520 and the 5650 video card. It would be nice if dell could get the fan fixed but I will live with it stuck and not have mine cycleing on and off all the time.

26 Posts

August 11th, 2010 16:00

I have been censored again... It's the third time now and I think I'm getting on their nerves because they sent me a mail this time. They even threaten me to ban me from the forum if I post this communication here. If they do, I'll head to the notebook review forum, on the 1749 fan issue thread.

Anyway... I bought a more than a 1000$ computer that makes a lot of noise, has video freezes, and lots of other problems.

I spent nearly 10 hours with Dell Customer service to try to fix it, had the motherboard replaced... Nothing worked.

What more can I say excepted I am very disappointed ? Why am I censored for saying so ?

Dell seems to enter a difficult period, and I think I know why.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2010 17:00

mine is the same,i got a 1749,same spec as yours and im finding the fan fine on the system,like you it does seem to get stuck on low speed,but im thinking i dont want to upgrade to A05 incase it swithches on and off all the time.lets out it this way,ive come from a inspiron 5160 and that was like 10x louder.

1 Message

August 15th, 2010 08:00

I also own a Dell 1749 with:

i5 540

4gig RAM

HD 5650 (I think!)

My fan also comes on every 45 seconds or so, but the noise from them is minimal; if I have music or a game on, I don't even really notice the fans. 

I do have a different problem however, which I believe is also related to cooling... I play Starcraft 2 on this laptop, which isn't a terribly demanding game. If I play the game for a long period, say 3 - 4 hours, I notice the graphics will begin to go weird. It usually starts with my mouse cursor which will suddenly have strange pixels of various colours appearing around it. Sometimes the cursor is not even recognisable any more. The problem disappears if I then turn off the machine for a few moments and turn it back on. I keep at least 15cm clear of things on all sides of the laptop to help its airflow.

Does anybody else have this problem?

1 Message

August 19th, 2010 23:00

Just recevied my dell studio 1749 and I am definitely not satisfied with the constant fan noise. It is bothersome and i'm surprised dell chose to just release these models with the issue as it had to be known. And for that matter to let this much time go by without fixing this issue is a concern. Hopefully they release a fix soon or i'm sure this model will struggle to survive and many returns will continue to occur.

9 Posts

August 19th, 2010 23:00

I have the same problem here and Dell support doesn't care at all. I recommend everybody to return the notebook right away. There are enough problems with the 1747 (falsely advertised as 1749) that qualify you for not paying the 15% restock fee. Maybe if there are enough returns, Dell finally cares about its customers. But honestly I highly doubt so. This is my 5th system from Dell and most likely the last one.

26 Posts

August 20th, 2010 02:00

@Euclid1: +1

I would definitely recommend everyone who feel concerned with noise issues to return their laptops. I believe there won't be a fix.

9 Posts

August 20th, 2010 05:00

I'm selling you mine :-)

I can only talk for my case (i7 740qm) and I do not expect the notebook to be quiet under load. However I do expect the fans to be on the lowest level, preferable off (like this is the case with my Inspirion 1720 Penryn 2.5ghz notebook that I haven't cleaned for 2 years) when the notebook is just idling or under extremely low usage (word document editing or just moving the mouse around on the desktop). Unfortunately this is not the case and the fan constantly turns on (medium level) and off (5 minutes on, 10 seconds off).

Regarding the Asus notebook, most users have reported that they barely hear the fan when the notebook is just idling. But it most likely gets equally loud/hot under load.

1 Message

August 20th, 2010 05:00

guys you really got me with this thread! i was going to buy Studio 17 1749, because by the specs it was the best i could find below 1000 pounds , but after reading this i'm not use if i'm buying at all. I don't really know if i m going to be annoyed by the fan noise but i don't want to find out either : / .

Ii ve got a question though. These Heat / Fan noice problems are only found on Studio 17 (at such grade) only?  because after searching the web i came across with same probs on Asus laptops too (Heating prob).

2 Posts

August 21st, 2010 14:00

To follow up:

I have had 3 1749's now: the first one died within 1 week of use (that was in december) with the 7 beeps of death.

Dell sent me a replacement 3 months(!!!) later. That one had the fan problem.

I returned that, and Dell tech support in India assured me that the replacement would not have the fan problem.

Of course, it did.

At this point, I've spent about 30hrs in total dealing with this issue. I've come to the following conclusions:

1) If you don't like the ridiculously annoying fan problem, then return the unit. They probably will (and should) give you a full refund, if they have any ethics.  I've been working with Dell Music City, and they have been helpful, unlike the atrocious customer "service" via India.

2) After spending tens of thousands of dollars on Dells going back to the early 90's for personal and business use, I won't be purchasing another.

At least the fan isn't as loud as the horrible SmartStep laptops that put out in 2004--they never did anything about that, either, as far as I remember.

Good luck.

August 26th, 2010 12:00

Hey guys,

From what I’m hearing, the stuck fan problem on these laptops have been solved.  Lets give DELL some credit.  They actually came out with a fix for the problems.  Unfortunately, the fix only partially addressed our issues. 

Dell, can you guys confirm the feedback from the user community?  The updated bios V05 is a good start.  We need your help in getting the fan noise problem fixed permanently.

Personally, I never thought that anything will be done...but something was done....this is excellent news for us who are stuck with this laptop.

I’m feeling pretty optimistic that there will be a final resolution to this issue.

One thing I noticed, when the notebook is running exclusively on battery power...I’m not having any fan issues at all.  Can you guys confirm this finding?

9 Posts

August 26th, 2010 12:00

Solved? That must be a joke after reading all the posts here. The fan problem is extremely annoying. Actually my new notebook is back in the box (waiting for some poor soul to buy) and I'm using my 2 year old Penryn.

In my case the fan is not turned on as much when running on battery because in this case a low performance power profile is used in Windows 7. As soon as you plug it in, when either the balanced or high performance power profile is used the fan is more or less constantly on, regardless of the tasks running.

15 Posts

August 27th, 2010 07:00

I just want to give an update here.. the problem with my Dell (Dell Inspiron 1764 core i5) has been solved. I don't know if it was a BIOS update or a windows 7 update but one of these updates solved the problem. I can still hear the fan every now and then but it is really what you can expect from a laptop with a core i5 laptop. Not annoying anymore fortunately. I'm also glad that I didn't send it to repair but just waited for new patches to solve the issue.. they usually only make things worse when they replace hardware and everyting. For 570 euro this is (now) a perfect fast laptop, 100% recommend! :emotion-21:

3 Posts

August 27th, 2010 08:00

Yes,i never had an issue with this fan behaviour that others are having,but it did have the stuck on problem,i have now updated to the latest bios and is now solved,i can hardly ever hear the fan come on at all now,running silent for me.i love this laptop eben more now

No Events found!