February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

August 28th, 2010 12:00

I'm glad that some of you finally received the long awaited fix.

But for the majority of us who are still having problems...I think we should expect more.

I mentioned in my last update that when the laptop is running on battery, the fan becomes very quiet.  After some testing, this was apparently not true anymore.  The fan still comes on every couple of minutes like before.  My bad for that premature observation.

Sooo....

where are we currently....

Stuck fan problem solved!

Fan comes on every few minutes even with no system load....NOT solved.

Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline? ....hopefully....

3 Posts

August 29th, 2010 03:00

Well hopefully for the ones who have the problem of it coming on every few minutes with no system load,i hope the next fix sorts it out for you.

at first before i got this laptop i thought it was the i7 cpus,running to hot,but realize the peoples i5 and so on are effected.

good luck to all you people who still have issues!

2 Posts

September 8th, 2010 18:00

Rutgers11 ... which version of the BIOS do you have on the 1764 ?

Thanks !!

September 15th, 2010 06:00

I have had my Studio 17 for 5 days and just happened to find out about the fan problem.  I noticed it at first, but did not think much of it.  When I looked this issue up on the forum...wow...a major problem.

My question is, what is the quickest way to return this?  I can't work with the fan coming on and off.  It is very distracting.  But I don't want to spend 3 hours on the phone with someone I don't understand, and have to have the motherboard and other components changed, procedures that this forum has shown, will not work.

Any advice?

thanks,

Wayneman9501

26 Posts

September 15th, 2010 08:00

Yep. If you can't work with it, just send it back. You should be able to get refunding with no problem and no justification.

There is no sign of a fix to come, so there is little hope this problem will be solved in the future.

I bought this computer a few month ago and I have not got used to this fan thing. It's probably one of the most annoying problem I have ever ran into. Plus the customer service has been terrible too. I think it's clear enough from my previous posts that I am truly disappointed in this laptop and Dell itself.

If you still have time, send it back. Check the policy, but you should be able to send it back without arguing with the customer service.

26 Posts

September 16th, 2010 04:00

@Rugter111

It is always good to get feedback from users, but the computer you are referring to is totally unrelated to the Studio 17, except it is manufactured by DELL.

I also have a Dell Vostro 220s (Desktop), and I am very happy with it, but it doesn't change the fact that the Studio 1749 will always be a noisy computer, as far as I am concerned.

By the way, Wayne Morse, have you made up your mind about what you are going to do with your studio 17 ?

15 Posts

September 16th, 2010 04:00

To give an answer (just in time): the problems disappeared when I installed bios a10 as far as I can remember. By the way: I'm responding on a studio topic while I've got an Inspiron (this will be my last post and then I will leave you alone) but I guess the MB and everyting is not that different from the studio line. I did certainly have the on/off and stuck behaviour and definitely do not have them now anymore. Did not send it to repair (they did offer to have it send to them but I knew it wasn't a hardware problem), just installed the latest drivers which were updated quite frequently at the time.. Also, I removed Mcafee (terrible) and installed the free microsoft essentials antivirus which is free and is pretty good. Every now and then the fan comes on (especially when I'm watching video) but really not loud and annoying anymore, absolutely normal behaviour now. I've now installed the a11 bios but didn't change much from the previous one, problem was solved with a10. I wish you studio guys good luck with your systems, but as far as I can tell the Inspiron is now fan problem free.

September 16th, 2010 05:00

I just made arrangements to return the laptop yesterday.  They did not give me much of a hassle.  After suggesting driver updates and a new motherboard, I referred them to this forum, and the suggestions stopped.  Still waiting for the return label.

Now my problem is, what to buy?  I've been through HP, which was a horrible experience.  Been thinking about Toshiba Teccra.  Any words of wisdom?

Thanks, Wayne.

September 16th, 2010 06:00

Thanks for your help!!

26 Posts

September 16th, 2010 06:00

I'm glad you were able to return the computer easily.

As to what to buy, it depends on what you are looking for. When I bought the studio 1749, I was looking for things like e-sata/USB autopower port, slot-in CD, brand new core i5, ddr3, dual HDD slots... You may have to make some sacrifices by choosing another computer.

Review websites will definitely help you make up your mind: http://www.notebookcheck.net/, http://www.laptopspirit.fr/ (french)...

For example, the 1749 was reviewed by notebookcheck and they pointed out very clearly how hot and noisy it is. In comparison, a samsung laptop with similar specs was noted to be running much cooler and quieter.

It's very difficult to find one brand you can absolutely trust, because models are so very different in terms of reliability and performance. My best advice would be to choose a few features (Silence is now one of my top priorities), and read reviews with those priorities in mind. I am sure there is a lot of great laptops out there :-).

Here is an excerpt from Nootebookcheck that epitomizes what I'm going to pay attention to nex time:

1749: "It was only with a stress test (GPU + CPU) that the maximum volume of the 1749 finally came through, at 42.2 dB (A). Variations in the speed were minutely detectable every 1 to 2 minutes, but the changes in fan speed were already drowned out by the consistency of the noise already taking place."

Samsung NP-R780: "The cooling system turned up to 35.3 dB(A) in computer games. Assuming an idle base level of 29.9 dB(A), it's a very low rate for a high-performance system with a Core i5 and dedicated graphics. The fan merely turns up to 38 dB(A) in a load scenario that we insinuate with a stress test."

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 08:00

Same problem with fan noise! 2 months performing selftests and updates for DELL Support Germany

• My hardware: Studio 1749: Intel i5-520M, Touch Screen, Radeon HD 5650, BIOS ...,
  • Most actual software: BIOS 05, ATI 8.683.2, A01, Windows 7 Home Premium

The following screencast shows the relationship between fan noise and CPU Load. The mic was positioned below the notebook, close to the fan slot. The fan is going up as soon as the CPU load is over 20% and down after 10 secs again. In idle mode it is going up and down every minute. Very funny: http://screencast.com/t/ZDFhNzZjZTg. Just not for users like me.

@DELL: Please provide an intelligent fan control with the next BIOS Update! It's really your turn!

September 25th, 2010 07:00

Wow. I mean WOW! That video clip really is the final nail in the coffin.

After spending an age researching a new laptop I'd finally settled on the Studio 17. I had one all ready to order. In fact it's still sitting in my basket as i type this.

My main reason for needing a new laptop was because my desktop has a noisy power supply and  whining graphics card fans. It's giving me tinnitus and I thought a laptop would be a good way to go to lose the noise issue and gain a bit more versatility whilst keeping the desktop purely for games (when I can't hear the noise so much).

Well

Thank God i found this thread.

I've always had Dell machines in the past and they've always been superb but after I tried to speak to someone in Sales this morning and the guy could hardly speak English, never mind not being able to answer to my questions, and now after reading through this thread? It seems that dell have totally lost it and I will most certainly NOT be buying a Studio 17 .

To all of you suffering with the fan problem , you have my deepest sympathy and also a heck of a lot of gratitude.

You've just saved me £800.

Thank You.

10 Posts

September 27th, 2010 18:00

Yes, just received my 1749 last week, and started noticing the fan coming on about every minute. The only reason i looked up the issue is because it seeemed different from any other laptop I've owned and it just started to be pretty irritating.  Since i'm within the return timeframe, I'm looking for an alternate laptop. Doesn't seem to be any good solutions from Dell. Options given to me by tech support were:

-system exchange (not sure how that would solve a problem inherent in the model)

-return

-technician come out an replace the fan and cooling sink (doesn't seem to be due to a defective fan or cooling sink)

Not great options....

Well if Dell has a fix within the next few days, then maybe I'll keep it. I like everything else about the laptop, but just not sure I can get used to the sound.Gah!

Please fix this Dell!

10 Posts

Yeah... that's what i figure. Any suggestions for an alternative 1080p 17+" laptop with a decent graphics cards that doesn't cost a fortune? HP? Toshiba? Asus?

I keep thinking maybe I'll get used to it, but as I type this email, I'm being driven mad by this fan. It would almost be better if it were just constantly blowing. And what's more irritating is when support technicians play like it's some new issue when there is clearly a widespread problem. 

26 Posts

Hey Patrick00,

We've all been waiting for a fix for more than 6 months. It's not going to happen anytime soon.

No Events found!