Euclid1
6 Indium

Re: studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

I'm selling you mine 🙂

I can only talk for my case (i7 740qm) and I do not expect the notebook to be quiet under load. However I do expect the fans to be on the lowest level, preferable off (like this is the case with my Inspirion 1720 Penryn 2.5ghz notebook that I haven't cleaned for 2 years) when the notebook is just idling or under extremely low usage (word document editing or just moving the mouse around on the desktop). Unfortunately this is not the case and the fan constantly turns on (medium level) and off (5 minutes on, 10 seconds off).

Regarding the Asus notebook, most users have reported that they barely hear the fan when the notebook is just idling. But it most likely gets equally loud/hot under load.

0 Kudos
Katayoon
1 Copper

To follow up:

I have had 3 1749's now: the first one died within 1 week of use (that was in december) with the 7 beeps of death.

Dell sent me a replacement 3 months(!!!) later. That one had the fan problem.

I returned that, and Dell tech support in India assured me that the replacement would not have the fan problem.

Of course, it did.

At this point, I've spent about 30hrs in total dealing with this issue. I've come to the following conclusions:

1) If you don't like the ridiculously annoying fan problem, then return the unit. They probably will (and should) give you a full refund, if they have any ethics.  I've been working with Dell Music City, and they have been helpful, unlike the atrocious customer "service" via India.

2) After spending tens of thousands of dollars on Dells going back to the early 90's for personal and business use, I won't be purchasing another.

At least the fan isn't as loud as the horrible SmartStep laptops that put out in 2004--they never did anything about that, either, as far as I remember.

Good luck.

0 Kudos

Hey guys,

From what I’m hearing, the stuck fan problem on these laptops have been solved.  Lets give DELL some credit.  They actually came out with a fix for the problems.  Unfortunately, the fix only partially addressed our issues. 

Dell, can you guys confirm the feedback from the user community?  The updated bios V05 is a good start.  We need your help in getting the fan noise problem fixed permanently.

Personally, I never thought that anything will be done...but something was done....this is excellent news for us who are stuck with this laptop.

I’m feeling pretty optimistic that there will be a final resolution to this issue.

One thing I noticed, when the notebook is running exclusively on battery power...I’m not having any fan issues at all.  Can you guys confirm this finding?

0 Kudos
Euclid1
6 Indium

Solved? That must be a joke after reading all the posts here. The fan problem is extremely annoying. Actually my new notebook is back in the box (waiting for some poor soul to buy) and I'm using my 2 year old Penryn.

In my case the fan is not turned on as much when running on battery because in this case a low performance power profile is used in Windows 7. As soon as you plug it in, when either the balanced or high performance power profile is used the fan is more or less constantly on, regardless of the tasks running.

0 Kudos
Rutger111
6 Indium

I just want to give an update here.. the problem with my Dell (Dell Inspiron 1764 core i5) has been solved. I don't know if it was a BIOS update or a windows 7 update but one of these updates solved the problem. I can still hear the fan every now and then but it is really what you can expect from a laptop with a core i5 laptop. Not annoying anymore fortunately. I'm also glad that I didn't send it to repair but just waited for new patches to solve the issue.. they usually only make things worse when they replace hardware and everyting. For 570 euro this is (now) a perfect fast laptop, 100% recommend! emoticon.Yes.title

0 Kudos
craggles
1 Copper

Yes,i never had an issue with this fan behaviour that others are having,but it did have the stuck on problem,i have now updated to the latest bios and is now solved,i can hardly ever hear the fan come on at all now,running silent for me.i love this laptop eben more now

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm glad that some of you finally received the long awaited fix.

But for the majority of us who are still having problems...I think we should expect more.

I mentioned in my last update that when the laptop is running on battery, the fan becomes very quiet.  After some testing, this was apparently not true anymore.  The fan still comes on every couple of minutes like before.  My bad for that premature observation.

Sooo....

where are we currently....

Stuck fan problem solved!

Fan comes on every few minutes even with no system load....NOT solved.

Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline? ....hopefully....

0 Kudos
craggles
1 Copper

Well hopefully for the ones who have the problem of it coming on every few minutes with no system load,i hope the next fix sorts it out for you.

at first before i got this laptop i thought it was the i7 cpus,running to hot,but realize the peoples i5 and so on are effected.

good luck to all you people who still have issues!

0 Kudos
vulcanman
1 Nickel

Rutgers11 ... which version of the BIOS do you have on the 1764 ?

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
Wayne Morse
1 Copper

I have had my Studio 17 for 5 days and just happened to find out about the fan problem.  I noticed it at first, but did not think much of it.  When I looked this issue up on the forum...wow...a major problem.

My question is, what is the quickest way to return this?  I can't work with the fan coming on and off.  It is very distracting.  But I don't want to spend 3 hours on the phone with someone I don't understand, and have to have the motherboard and other components changed, procedures that this forum has shown, will not work.

Any advice?

thanks,

Wayneman9501

0 Kudos