February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

2 Posts

February 21st, 2011 05:00

Hi,

Here are my specs  Dell Studio 17,  i7 740qm, 2 x 640 gig hdd, 1 gig 560v graphics card, 1920 x 1080 rgbled screen, blu-ray..etcetc.

I haven't really noticed the fan issue being loud or starting constantly all the time.  I find it rather quiet actually, when all I do is just surf the internet,

use msn chat, or watch a full hd movie.  However, when I do some video editing, or intense photoshop work the fan does come on (I expect this to be normal though).

The fan does start up on initial boot up for a few seconds, but apart from that unless I am doing some intense cpu demanding tasks....the fan stays turned off and is silent.

So I am not sure what everyone else is experiencing?

February 22nd, 2011 11:00

Maybe they fixed the problem. who knows? They did pull it from their website for awhile. Since it was an unacknowledged problem, they coiuld have done anything. I know that I went through two units and hours of tech support, before it was returned and my money credited. I didn't want to believe it was a problem. My old Dell studio I just loved and wanted another. but that fan drove me crazy. Tech support said that was they way it was designed, like i was getting some kind of value added bonus.  I wanted to exchange it for another Dell line and was willing to pay the difference, but since I bought it through the outlet, they couldn't do it.

I never researched a problem so much in my life, and I think it was an architectural flaw. As for the touchpad, the driver they recommended would not enable me to turn it off, even though tech insisted it would. Thank goodness for the different forums and threads I found that had the same problems, becasuse Dell was telling me different. If your fan doesn't exhibit the hair dryer phenomena, fantastic.

I was left with a deep distrust towards Dell.  I really wanted a Dell and tried to get things to work. Dell didn't.

26 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 15:00

1) the fan behavior did get better with bios updates 2) it is indeed a hardware & software issue 3) the problem is not the loudness but the inconstancy of the fan behavior. //  I'm very disappointed in my 1749, and to be honest, I don't use it that much anymore. I mainly rely on a vostro 230s: louder but a much better machine overall. //  I'm happy with the 230s, unhappy with the 1749. While I have mixed feelings about this, I don't trust Dell with designing good & reliable computers anymore. I think their strength is to deliver cheap machines for businesses but that's all. //  Sorry for the lack of line breaks, I'm writing on a smartphone and dell's text editor doesn't respond well to it.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2011 11:00

I recently bought a studio 1737 which had similar problem. I quieted it down by modifying the hardware, described here, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19366607.aspx.

Not a easy solution on my laptop, but works quite well.

18 Posts

March 19th, 2011 14:00

I just wanted to update you all. I have the same fan issue on my 1558 (i3, integrated graphics). Even at idle, the fan cycles to high for 30 seconds, then stays at low for 1 minute, then cycles to high for 30 seconds. Super annoying! I went through the same runaround with the dell service techs as well. They came out and replaced my entire motherboard, fan, and heatsink. No change. The fan still cycles. Since they replaced essentially all the internal components related to heat generation, I think this is unfortunately just ill-thought out cooling design. E.g. it's probably as the engineers intended the laptop to run. Of course, they probably weren't thinking about how grating this noise would end up being. Unless there is a bios update which addresses this, I doubt getting a replacement laptop of the same model will help. I also highly doubt my replacement fan and motherboard were faulty. I think this is just how the cooling system is designed. Anyone else been able to eliminate this cycling issue?

19 Posts

November 27th, 2011 16:00

A solution is a free program called "speedfan" by  Alfredo Milani Comparetti.  (Dell is clueless when it comes to proper temperature control of a WorkStation) the program automatically raises and lowers the fan speed according to internal temperature settings that you control.  The latest version of speedfan 4.45 works excellent with the T7500

August 9th, 2015 07:00

you must open the laptop up and clean all the dust away from the heatsink that is why it is getting hot it will cool down after you clean it.

August 9th, 2015 08:00

check to see if the fan has dust blocking the vent if so open it up and clean it second option is to us a cooling fan base for extra cooling.

August 9th, 2015 08:00

clean the fan

No Events found!