CaLady2010
1 Copper

Re: studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey,

Is this fan noise something that could potentially affect the integrity of the computer or is it just an annoyance?

0 Kudos
dannyc1234
1 Copper

No fan issue for me, My old dell 9300 was much louder. Of course you can hear the fans when they are running full speed but it's no way intrusive or annoying. General laptop use (surfing the net...) i didn't hear the fans at all, just when doing complex tasks (video conversion) that they fired up.

0 Kudos
CaLady2010
1 Copper

I should be getting my new laptop today, so I can test it out. My old laptop was really loud, even when it was idle and it got very hot. Sounds like you're pleased with yours, so that's good to hear.

0 Kudos
clarityn
1 Copper

I'm also waiting for the "fan fix" for 1749 and is it possible to see the changelog for the A05 BIOS?

0 Kudos
zoltanv
1 Copper

hi,

so does your fan not kick in full blast every 2 minutes like others are saying?

0 Kudos
ljdan
1 Copper

i bought my dell and then came across this thread. At the time I  thought that the problem was an isolated incident and i was lucky enough not to be affected. Unfortunately the noise of the fan increases over time and becomes the most noticeable more or less after the 30 day return has expired. Go figure!

Also note that this thread has been going on for a number of months now with no reply from Dell until very recently mentioning that  ' Engineering has approved an update that should help with this issue.  We should be launching it on our driver site very shortly.  I will post further info regarding the update once it has been released'.

So Dell have in fact admitted that they are aware of this issue.Unfortunately that was a week ago and still no updates from Dell.

Would you buy a laptop with a known " issue" ?

0 Kudos
gshayban
1 Copper

I have a 1749 with a 520m processor.  Also noticing this behavior.  Can we have a BIOS option to disable Turbo Boost?  I have BIOS A05 released a few days ago and it still doesn't fix the issue.

0 Kudos
CaLady2010
1 Copper

Yes, I hear the fan go full blast, sometimes more often than every two minutes. There's also a faint  noise I hear (not the fan), I would desbribe the sound as a faint crackling, it's pretty constant, anyone else here this sound?  I turned off the volume and my pc was idle and I still hear it. It's hard to pinpoint the source of the sound.

0 Kudos
brlowe
1 Copper

My new 1749 with I5-520 has the same odd fan that everyone here is talking about. While sitting idle the fan sounds like it turns off then the computer heats up and the fan kicks on, it cools down then fan off and it all starts over again. It does this every couple of minutes. Why cant the fan just stay on at a lower setting to keep it cool at idle and then kick on high when needed?

How about a program like speed fan to let us control the fan speed or a bios where we can agjust the fan settings.

Brandon

0 Kudos
airgun
1 Copper

I have the 1749 with the notorious fan problem.  I've accidentally discovered something that stops the fan noise.

I use the laptop as a desktop replacement in my home office.  I attach my favorite  keyboard and mouse via USB, and also a 2nd monitor.  To get the laptop's monitor higher, more at eye level, I balance the laptop on some stacked books.   When this is done, the fan doesn't turn on.  Peace and quiet, nice.  

The laptop is elevated about 4 inches off the desk.  The books are about 6x9 inches in size.  Possibly the increased air circulation keeps the laptop cooler.

0 Kudos