Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2009 20:00

studio xps 1340 has freezing problem

I bought studio xps 1340 and it's freezing a lot.

I've tried to reinstall vista and update everything as likr driver and firmware for more than 10 times.

and still it's freezing unexpectedly.

I chated with agent and she tryied to resolve this problem for more than 1 hour and hang off the phone without solving this yesterday.

she promised to call back to today night, but I didn't get any call yet.

I'm so desperate and it make me crazy.

I'd like to get a refund or another replacement.

what can I do?

7 Posts

November 13th, 2009 17:00

I'm having the same problem with my 1340 on Windows 7.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2009 10:00

I have a simliar issue with my 1340 using Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

I checked the event viewer and the consistent error is event ID 129 (Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued).  It also points to nvsto64.

I have updated the BIOS and am using all of the latest W7 drivers but still experience the issue.

1 Message

November 24th, 2009 05:00

I have also experienced this problem since I purchased the unit. In some cases the freeze is for 60 seconds, in other cases, it is a hardware freeze that requires holding hte power button down for 4 seconds to reboot. Most recently, I tryed to run windows update and after the update the system would not boot to windows... I had to systems restore to move back to a previous set point and I am up and running. Not good....

I'll be checking all drivers and Bios just to be sure. I am running the 64bit version of Win7.

Regarding "What can you do" - request your money back or a replacement system. However it wounds like there may be a trend here. 

1 Message

November 29th, 2009 21:00

Hi peoples,

I had intermittent freeze issus with my Dell XPS 1340 after I had installed my own copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

After multiple calls with Dell, and discovering that I would need to be in safe mode to diagnose, decided to reinstall.

From the Dell Drivers & Downloads the XPS 1340, follow the instructions detailed in the Driver Install Instructions link.

I didnt install all drivers, here is what worked for me:

install win 7, windows update

install chrome

install avg9 & update

dell

-install Dell Support Center

-chipset: 

--nVidia MCP79 Chipset - R235161

--Ricoh Card Reader R5C833 - R227769

-video:

--nVidia GeForce G 210M - R233853

-network:

--nVidia Ethernet Controller - R238876

--Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard - R228550

-Dell QuickSet - R226931

-audio:

--IDT 92HD73C1 Audio - R226903

-network:

--Dell Wireless WLAN 1510 Half MiniCard (4322) - R228532

-input device:

--Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad - R227597

-bluetooth:

--Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard - R226750

install sound blaster x-fi mb

dvd firmware upgrade - R250076

install additional base apps

when the win7 upgrade dvd finally arrives, might install from that. 

hope this helps.

7 Posts

November 30th, 2009 06:00

After 4 days worth of calls to Tech Support and more than 4 reinstalls from both the official Dell upgrade Win7 CD and Dell drivers CD I continue to have freezing problems.  I've run hours of memory and harddrive diagnostics, including swapping memory in and out one stick at a time, etc.

I had a great tech support person who stuck with me for 4 days worth of diagnostics, driver swaps, etc. and today they're coming out to swap my motherboard.  I'll report back on it this was successful.

Thanks...
---dat

7 Posts

December 27th, 2009 04:00

Dell Support has been great in trying to resolve my freezing problem, but the problem continues.

I've had the motherboard replaced.

I've had the heatsink replaced and under carriage replaced, due to some refactoring of the heatsink design (beefier) and air vents.

But a last the problem persists.  I believe I've narrowed the problem to three possibilities 1) Video driver, 2) Bluetooth module/driver, or 3) Wireless broadband module/driver (model 5530 for AT&T).  

I've reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate (Retail boxed version), turned off Windows Update so I could control driver installs and used Disk Image to preserve my baseline install.  I kept all of the drivers installed by Win7 and added in one driver at a time from the Dell or Windows Update site in the following order:

1. Nvidia MCP79 chipset (Dell)
  2. Ricoh SD card reader (Dell)
  3. Ricoh MMC card reader (Windows)
  4. Ricoh xD card reader (Windows)
  5. Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver (Windows)
  6. ITECIR IR (Windows)
  7. SCM smartcard reader SCR3340 - ExpressCard54 (Windows)
  8. Broadcom Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N Minicard (Windows)

I've going to image the hard drive again and start adding in the 1) Wireless Broadband, 2) Bluetooth, 3) Video... I'll report back.

---dat

7 Posts

December 27th, 2009 13:00

I too have been having all the problems as stated above. Just had the motherboard replaced yet it continues to freeze and lock up. I just reinstalled Windows 7 in hopes of getting this to stop and just finished all of the windows updates.

- Jason

7 Posts

December 27th, 2009 14:00

Jason,

Do you have a 5530 Wireless Broadband (AT&T) card?  I just installed the the driver for the 5530 card and got my first system lock-up following the clean install and the post above.  I still have the Standard Video driver install instead of the Nvida drivers and I haven't install the Bluetooth driver yet. 

---dat

7 Posts

December 27th, 2009 17:00

No, I don't have the 5530. I have however updated all of the drivers and installed all of the windows updates.

Here's what I think the issue is -- Running a clean install still leaves residue of the old OS and the files you had with them, even though they are moved to C:\Windows.old

What I did and haven't had a lock-up yet is:

1) Control Panel -> System and Security

2) Click Free up disk space (Disk Clean-up) -> Select the main drive

3) When it's down calculating and gathering everything and the Disk Cleanup windows opens click clean up system files

4) It should delete everything about the old install as well as the files, allowing the system and disk to operate with more efficiency.

Hope it works for you too.

7 Posts

December 27th, 2009 18:00

Spoke to soon. It hung and locked up again.

Possibly the HD going bad?

7 Posts

December 30th, 2009 07:00

Folks,

I've narrowed the problem down on my Studio XPS 1430 to the Dell Wireless 5530 Mobile Broadband (AT&T) driver.  Here is a full accounting of my activities.

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to stabilize my Studio XPS 1340 over the holidays as I installed Windows 7 on the remainder of my wife and kids laptops (Dell Inspiron 710m, Dell Inspiron 1405, Dell Inspiron 1420, Toshiba Netbook NB205, MacBook [Boot Camp dual boot] and MacBook Pro [Boot Camp dual boot]).  All implementations of Win7 on these machines have been rock solid; all Win7 functionality including Aero (except the 710m which doesn’t have a Win7 or Vista video driver).

December 25th

On the Dell Studio XPS 1340 I have installed Win7 Ultimate (Retail Box) with all drivers downloaded from either Windows Update or the Dell Support site.  I turned off Windows Update so I could control driver installs and used Disk Image to preserve my baseline install and major milestone installs.  I kept all of the drivers installed by Win7 and added in one driver at a time from the Dell or Windows Update site in the following order:

1.       Nvidia MCP79 chipset (Dell)

2.       Ricoh SD card reader (Dell)

3.       Ricoh MMC card reader (Windows)

4.       Ricoh xD card reader (Windows)

5.       Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver (Windows)

6.       ITECIR IR (Windows)

7.       SCM smartcard reader SCR3340 - ExpressCard54 (Windows)

8.       Broadcom Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N Minicard (Windows)

9.       Dell Quickset (Dell)

The three remaining drivers to install include:

1.       Nvidia GeForce 9500M

2.       Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband minicard

3.       Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth minicard

The above three drivers are the main suspects with the freezing issues I’ve experienced.  I created a drive image using DiskImage software and I also created a Windows system restore point to begin testing the three drivers listed above. 

December 27th

I installed the Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA driver (Dell Site) and the Dell Wireless Broadband Manager application (Dell site) and the system began to freeze with no consistent pattern of usage.  I rolled-back the driver and application using the system restore point and the system returned to normal operations, less the three drivers above.

December 28th

I installed the Nvidia GeForce 9500M driver (Dell Site) and the system has been functioning normally for over 24 48 hours, typically the system would have hung more than once within a 24 hour period.

December 29th

I installed the Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth minicard driver and paired my MoGo Pro x54 mouse.  I’ve been using the Bluetooth mouse exclusively for the last 24 hours; previously the system would have gotten a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) while using the mouse.

December 30th

I installed the Dell Wireless 5530 Mobile Broadband minicard driver and within an hour the machine locked up for no apparent reason and required a hard boot using the power button.  The Mobile Broadband card was active but not connected to the AT&T network. I’m going to leave installed for today to see how long it takes to lock up again.

Again... I'll keep you posted.

---dat

7 Posts

January 4th, 2010 18:00

As of right now, the system may hang for a few seconds but it'll come back. It has been like this for the last week or so. It's acceptable.

Good luck.

7 Posts

January 4th, 2010 18:00

Update....

December 30th

A couple hours later the system locked up again, I’m not sure of exactly how long it took to freeze up again since I wasn’t present when it happened… ghosts ;o).   I uninstalled the driver and had the driver files deleted in the process (clicking the delete files checkbox). 

Dell is sending me a replacement machine... we'll see if the problem get resolved.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2010 04:00

I´m have the same problem. My studio XPS 1340 cames with Vista. I bought a Windows 7 (Home Premium) and the problem occur in the booth systems...

Someone have a solution for that!!!!???

Thanks

4 Posts

January 6th, 2010 05:00

To ALL,

The solution is very simple.... All  the problem is in CHIPSET DRIVER MCP79 from nVidia.

Only install a version A00 for WINDOWS VISTA (even if your system is Windows 7), and all problems gone. You can download fro http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9W79PDOK

More information in another topic: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302005.aspx (thanks to Rizuan)

Incredible that DELL doesn´t support us....

Regards

No Events found!