Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2009 05:00

the F,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 keys

i'm doing some excel ict coursework and i need the F buttons to use parts of excel, however the F buttons also have light and sound controls on them. i just want to use F9 as it should be used in excel. but i end up just turning the sound up really high! how do i stop this and use f9 properly? i'm i supposed to hold down Alt as a push f9 or somthing like that? i 've tried! help! the manuel doesn't even say anything! :emotion-9:

33 Posts

November 14th, 2009 11:00

Not sure of the specifics fo your system, but on my Studio 1557, all you do is hold the "Fn" key and press your needed function button.  For instance, I have a desktop with XP and "normal" function keys (that don't share the key with something else.)  I have become accustomed to using F2 as a shortcut to rename files.  I realized I couldn't do that on my new laptop because the F2 key is also my wireless connection key.  But, after some playing around, in order to use the function keys as their functions, you just need to hold down the Fn key down at the bottom and then hit whichever F button I need.  Hope this worksfor you!

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 14th, 2009 14:00

Some keyboards have an F Lock key that toggles between the 2 uses-- F1 and Help, F2 and undo etc.

1 Message

December 25th, 2009 11:00

Hi Charlott3,  Maybe you figured this out already, but since there is no answer here, I thought I'd share the solution for anyone else experiencing the same issue.  I had to call Dell support because I also was so annoyed that I wanted to throw the computer across the room every time I hit the Wireless ON/OFF instead of the F2 (I use Excel lots too!).

In the bios there is a setting to change from Multimedia Function Keys to the good old NORMAL function keys.  Since the F2 is set to multimedia, it's annoying on bootup to use the F2, I had to try a few times before it worked, but it did eventually.  Then under the Advanced Tab, there is a Function Key Setup (or something named similarly) where you can change it.  Remember to select F10 when you set it to save the setting.  It did the trick and my laptop is now safe from becoming a football. :emotion-2:  Good luck everyone!

No Events found!