Highlighted
spjrc
2 Bronze

the latest audio driver not comparable with windows 10 version 1709 Build 16299.64 on my Inspiron 15-5577 Gaming Laptop

Upgraded to Windows 10 version 1709 Build 16299.64 successful.

Upgraded the latest audio driver to Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_8WWJK_WIN_6.0.1.8142_A04.EXE.  I also verified the driver is installed successful.

After reboot, I notice that the audio icon appeared with the red X symbol next to it.  It says No Audio Output Device is installed.

I know the audio device driver works for Windows 10 version 1703 Build 15063.726. 

Please let me know if anyone else has the same issue.

Please let me know how to submit a service ticket to the Dell for this issue.

Thank you

JR

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ieee488
6 Gallium

RE: the latest audio driver not comparable with windows 10 version 1709 Build 16299.64 on my Inspiron 15-5577 Gaming Laptop

Did you install the Windows 10 chipset driver first?

0 Kudos
spjrc
2 Bronze

RE: the latest audio driver not comparable with windows 10 version 1709 Build 16299.64 on my Inspiron 15-5577 Gaming Laptop

Thank you ieee488 for your suggestions.

Yes, I updated with Intel-Chipset-Device-Software_HMDR4_WIN_10.1.1.38_A05_06.EXE first and then updated with Chipset_Driver_FC98F_WN32_30.100.1633.3_A02.EXE.  But the audio issue still exists.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Please let me know how to submit a service ticket to the Dell for this issue.

You can contact tech support, but I don't know if Dell passes complaints along to Realtek.

Have you tried the previous driver version?

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
spjrc
2 Bronze

YES.  I have tried the prvious two versions but they did not help.

Thanks jimco.  I have submitted a ticket for support because my laptop is still under the waranty.  I think this type of support might NOT be the right for this type of problem.  For example, I changed my bootable hard drive from SSD to PCIe CARD hard drive, I have asked Dell for help using the "contact tech support" link you have listed; they said that this type of support for their concierge group.  But I eventually figured out how to do it (if you are interested in my solution, please follow this link - en.community.dell.com/.../21004654

Thank you once again.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Your system is using the same driver version my 7567 is using.  So far no audio problems with it.  I noticed the 7577 is using an audio driver with a .82xx version number which isn't even on the Realtek site.

Do you see the Sound device in the Device Manager?  If not, does it show up if you set the view to show hidden devices?

If you want to do some troubleshooting, we need some info on what you are seeing beside the Red X which I can get by disabling the output device in the Playback Devices UI.  Maybe yours is stuck on another output device which is not present.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
spjrc
2 Bronze

Saltgrass - thank you.  Is your OS WIN10 VERSION 1709 BUILD 16299.64?  Because that laptop's audio is working fine with version 1703 build 15063.726 which I upgraded to that version on 11-14.

Yes, I see the Realtek High Definition Audo driver listed under Sound, video and game controllers.  But there is a yellow triangle symbol next to the Realtek High definition Audio indicating it is NOT functional.  The return code is 10 after I installed Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_8WWJK_WIN_6.0.1.8142_A04.EXE.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thank you once again.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

If it is in Device Manger, I suggest you uninstall the device and check the box to uninstall all drivers.  There is a good chance it will come back with an earlier driver because the .inf files for earlier drivers are still present.

You can reboot and check and if you want, reinstall the driver.  If not, you can continue to uninstall until it gets to the Windows Basic driver at which point you should be able to install.

Yes, I have the latest build on my system and using the driver version you mention.  I have seen a version load from Win 10 automatically which does not provide the Speakers/headphones option but Speakers only, so that is not the correct one.  Go ahead and install the Dell version.  I do not know what other differences, such as audio chipset, there might be between our systems.

The good thing is, if it is showing in Device manager then the device is still being picked up by the Bios and a driver fix should take care of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
spjrc
2 Bronze

Saltgrass - much appreciate your comments.  I totally understand what you are saying about uninstall/install the drivers and their .inf files.  I will try that.  Unfortunately, I do not have that laptop now because it belongs to my Son.  I will see him this or next weekend.  Meanwhile, I have submitted a support ticket to Dell.  I will share this info in case someone has similar issue.

The email received from US_CTS_Support:

Before we could Proceed with the Troubleshooting steps, I believe you are using the head phones request you to use the internal speakers and check if the audio works.

Step 1:  lets ensure audio is enabled in system setup.

Reboot the computer

After seeing the Dell logo, press the <F2> key to enter into the system setup screen.

Please expand System Configuration >Audio > Ensure enabled for audio is checked.

Then click on Apply

Step 2:   If it is enabled in BIOS and still not working lets run Dell click to fix tool for audio.

Please install a Dell authorized application called Dell Click To Fix from the following link which will perform remote diagnostics on the system and also has the capability to fix the bugs that might be causing this issue.

ppsprov.nanoheal.com/

Please follow these steps after installing it.

Home > Fix Windows Issues > Hardware Fixits & Troubleshooter > Resolve Audio Issues

Note:   Dell Click to Fix installation link is active for only 24 hrs. and the installed application is active for 48 hrs. as it is short licensed.

If issue is not fixed please proceed to below steps.

Step 3:   Audio driver proper reinstallation:

I understand you have mentioned that you have updated the drivers earlier, however the below audio driver is from the Realtek website.

Search for Device manager in the desktop search.

In Device manager locate audio driver.

Expand audio and uninstall Realtek (delete checked).

Search for programs and features in the desktop search.

Locate Realtek audio driver then select uninstall it. Then restart the computer and install audio driver from below link.

www.realtek.com.tw/.../downloadsView.aspx

Definition Audio Codecs[64 bit ]

If issue is still not fixed,

Step 4:  Run EPSA

Disconnect the external speakers and perform EPSA quick audio check

Unplug the external speakers from the computer.  

Turn the computer off  

Hold down the FN key and power the system on to access the EPSA

Press the escape key to exit out of the default tests  

Click Perform Quick Audio Check in the lower right corner  

Check whether you can hear beep tones from the system speakers.

Note:  If you there is no Perform Quick Audio Check option, restart the EPSA test. When it performs the color test, you will be asked if you can see the color bars on the screen. Answer by pressing the N key and fail the test. This action will emit a series of beep tones by which you can check for the audio.

In  EPSA if we do not hear tone / beep sounds then we need to replace the speakers to fix this issue.

WOW - that is almost like reading the WORLD AND PEACE NOVEL Smiley Happy

Happy reading!!!

0 Kudos
spjrc
2 Bronze

My son's laptop has been updated to the latest Windows 10 (Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125 revision date 12/12/2017)

My latest update - it turns out it is a Realtek audio driver issue.  

============================================ failed install info on 11/25/2017

InstallDeviceID

DriverName hdxma7.inf_amd64_c87ef9b1011b339f\hdxma7.inf  

DriverVersion 6.0.1.8142  

DriverProvider Realtek Semiconductor Corp.  

DeviceInstanceID ROOT\MEDIA\0000  

SetupClass {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}  

RebootOption false  

UpgradeDevice false  

IsDriverOEM true  

InstallStatus 0x0  

DriverDescription Realtek Audio

============================================ success install info on 11/27/2017

InstallDeviceID

DriverName hdxma7.inf_amd64_c87ef9b1011b339f\hdxma7.inf  

DriverVersion 6.0.1.8142  

DriverProvider Realtek Semiconductor Corp.  

DeviceInstanceID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0256&SUBSYS_102807E1&REV_1000\4&DCC8781&0&0001  

SetupClass {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}  

RebootOption false  

UpgradeDevice false  

IsDriverOEM true  

InstallStatus 0x0  

DriverDescripton Realtek Audio

***************************************************************************************

****  THE DIFFERENCE IS DeviceInstanceID ****

***************************************************************************************

I still don't understand how I installed this driver to a different device (ie ROOT\MEDIA\0000) Smiley Happy.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your support.

JR

0 Kudos