Highlighted
rotemshi
1 Nickel

thermal pad for ssd m.2 in precision 5510

Hello,

I bought  sumsung V-nand SSD 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express to upgrade my precision 5510. right now I have HDD hard drive and no SSD at all.

I realized I need a thermal pad for this card and I bought a simple one from eBay 1.5mm thick.

Is it Ok for this installation? I did not find any information about it online besides the item code of the original dell one and it had no details about it (http://icecat.biz/en_in/p/dell/88djk/not-categorized-NEW+DELL+PLT+THRM+M.2+PCI+1.5+5510-9550-3120401...)

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
4 Replies
samos1111
3 Argentium

RE: thermal pad for ssd m.2 in precision 5510

AFAIK standard SSDs don't need a thermal pad, but Samsung PRO series do, downthrottle speed otherwise under load. You don't need something with world-class thermal conductivity, the one you bought will probably do. Someone recommended 2mm but soft fluffy type (the expensive branded ones with high thermal conductivity tend to be dense, clay-like). You can monitor the SSD drive temperature using HWinfo64.

0 Kudos
rotemshi
1 Nickel

The one I bought is very soft.

I installed windows 10 on it and it keeps crashing with a blue screen and does not collect error data (stays on 0%). It might be related to the thermal pad?

It crashed during installations and one time after an installation. The windows explorer fails and stop responding and then it crashes.

0 Kudos
samos1111
3 Argentium

> I installed windows 10 on it and it keeps crashing with a blue screen and does not collect error data (stays on 0%). It might be related to the thermal pad?

No, should just downthrottle. You can check if the SSD temperature rises in HWinfo64.

More likely a driver issue. Lately, 9550 have similar issues with a recently released Intel HD video driver .4590, try reverting to .4483 if you have it (but Windows Update may want to install .4590 again!). Or the NVMe driver for SSD?

0 Kudos
Carlcoconut
1 Copper

For me, manually installing the older version of the NVMe driver (ver. 1.4.7.17) helped:

www.etcwiki.org/.../Samsung_950_Pro_NVMe_-_Windows_7_x64_Install

With any newer driver I have the crashes, freezes and blue screens all the time...

0 Kudos