shanefowler
1 Copper

to many problems with Dell/Dell M6800

hello

I like many others am also have problems with my AMD graphics card not working. its has at time not even been listed in my system. every test I've tried only uses the Intel hd 4600 graphics. I've tried turning off the Intel graphics but my screen went solid black, and would not come back on until I reset the computer. Also if I have to many internet windows open, or if I just open my CAD program with no drawing or anything on it the screen constantly flashes black until I close the program.

Has anyone else's AMD graphics card name changed from FirePro to Radeon?

After a recent update all of my USB ports stopped working, and my Bluetooth mouse stopped working, so I had to remove the USB 3.0 drivers, and Intel Bluetooth drivers. also all of this happened after I used the Dell Command Updater for the first Time.

I have never bought such a problematic item! I tried contacting Dell many times and was never able to speak to anyone, except on time a lady emailed me and said you don't have a business account with us.

Rant Starts Here: sorry I hope someone from Dell reads this.

I custom ordered this PC because I started CAD school. I got a 4810 processor, AMD FirePro 6100 graphics card (after an update it is showing it is a AMD Radon 8950 hd card?) 16 GB RAM, 128 SSD, and 1 TB HDD that they did not join together like I was told they would be, so I'm running low on storage. for a total of $2,850.00 pulse $150.00 for a Tablet that was supposed to be a free Promo gift.

after I got it I notice the had a prebuilt system I could have bough that have much better hardware for the same or less money, but the salesmen didn't mention that to me. he lied about many thing, and he called me many time that day until I ordered the PC. but after that I couldn't get ahold of him any more so I got *** with what they gave me.

then I was owed like $350.00 for reward points that I never even received.

I ordered this because I thought they were the best,and I ended up with a just Professional Mobile Workstation my AS*.

I'm a Collage student again, so this was a HUGE purchase to me, but the favor the big companies that buy there products. I Know in my future carrier as a CAD designer I'll never by another Dell Workstation.

1 Reply
KevinNJ
1 Nickel

RE: to many problems with Dell/Dell M6800

I have the M6800 with the same video card,  2TB SSD and 4TB SATA,  otherwise the same computer, and the same problem.  I will explain how I fixed the problem, but use this info at your own risk, I am not a Dell expert nor and I sure this is the proper way to fix the problem,  but it did work and I have successfully resolved other Dell software problems with my FIPS fingerprint sensor which also stopped working after a system update.

I originally had Windows 8.1 Pro installed by Dell,  but upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 6 days ago.  After the upgrade my video card changed to the Radeon card just like yours. 

Did you install an updated driver from Dell or did Windows Update install a new driver?  One problem I encountered many times is Windows/Microsoft Update installing hardware drivers during system updates.  These Microsoft drivers usually work, but the Dell drivers are specifically designed for the way the GPU is integrated into your computer (it is slightly different than a normal generic driver such as the OEM AMD driver or the driver from Windows Update).  I would not install those hardware drivers in Microsoft Update and select "hide update" to prevent them from installing in the future when they caused problems in the past.

To fix the driver problem encountered when Windows 10 was installed and the device manager showed the wrong model GPU,  I had to uninstall the AMD driver in the device manager (right click the device then select Uninstall, then I rebooted the computer and installed the proper Dell driver from the Dell support site.  Regardless of the cause of your driver problem, my method of resolving it should work.   After removing and reinstalling the AMD driver, the video card displays as the proper model in the device manager.  I once had trouble after removing a video driver for a different reason in the past on this computer and I had to use an external monitor after rebooting so I could then install the proper video driver;  somehow the video on the LCD was scrambled but an external monitor worked fine - just letting you know in case you have the same thing happen.

As for your hard drive,  it sounds like you are supposed to have a 128GB SSD drive and the 1TB SATA rotational hard drive (non-SSD) configured as a single drive.  I am not 100% sure that it can be configured that way, but that is the typical way a small SSD is used to increase performance of the HDD.  I will check my BIOS and follow-up soon.  If properly configured, the SSD would be used as a cache module to increase performance by storing system files and anything that is accessed more frequently on the SSD and the rest of the data on the 1TB rotational drive.  The system has algorithms to decide what goes on the SSD and what goes on the SATA rotational hard drive to basically store more frequently accessed files on the faster SSD;  the OS sees the 2 physical hard drives as a single volume as opposed to 2 separate drives. 

I have 2 x 1TB SSD configured as a single RAID drive,  so I do not have personal experience with the smaller SSD cache drive,  but I believe you configure that in the BIOS/UEFI.  I am unsure if you can reconfigure the drives to the single volume using the SSD as a cache module without reinstalling the OS.  Press F2 as soon as you turn the computer on to enter the setup.  There will be help info on the screen where the drive configuration is changed, I am sure it will tell you if you need to reinstall all of your data and the OS after changing the drive configuration.

If the configuration change erases all of the data on both drives, you should be able to backup the entire system by creating a System Image and then restoring it to the reconfigured drive.  This can be done right in Windows, no 3rd party program required - see the Microsoft site for instructions on how to do this.  Here is a link to instructions for doing so in Windows 7,  it should be similar in Windows 8:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7   I am not sure if the restore will work with the reconfigured larger drive, but  it shouldn't be a problem - I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The only other complications are with the Dell Security Tools using the fingerprint reader,  after upgrading Windows,  I had to remove all of the security applications and reinstall them in order to get the FIPS fingerprint reader to work. 

The configuration is sometimes tricky on this computer, but it is worth it;  this is the most powerful and best designed notebook I ever saw (if size is not a consideration).  It is very flexible and easily upgradable and can accommodate 4 hard drives when using the Optical Bay to hold a SATA hard drive.  I have 2TB SSD and 4TB HDD,  I don't know of any other notebook that can compare.

0 Kudos