Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2013 00:00

touchpad problems with windows 8

hi.

recently my entire computer was accidently deleted and since i couldn't find dell's original cd's that came with the laptop and have windows 7 on them i installed windows 8.

problem is, the touch pad is working but it has no scrolling abilty (when you move your finger downards on the edge of the touchpad nothing special happens).

i really need that feature cause i'm studying in a place that has no actual mouse room.

can someone please help me?

10 Posts

January 14th, 2013 03:00

i have dell inspiron N5010 now running windows 8 pro

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi niro222,

Please let us know the system model number, so I can help you in further.

10 Posts

January 14th, 2013 04:00

do you need any more information?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 15th, 2013 11:00

Hi niro222,

Please do a complete windows update in the system; also trying updating the touchpad driver from device manager. In device manager right click on touchpad and update driver automatically.

Let us know about the progress.

10 Posts

January 15th, 2013 13:00

i did a complete windows update.

in the device manager the touchpad appears as "apls pointing device".

the apls driver is something i downloaded manually from the dell support site where i had a choice between apls touchpad and synaptics, but i didn't know which one to download so i'm not sure that what i have on my computer is apls maybe you can help me according to the laptop model?

and back to what you asked when i updated the apls pointing device driver it worsened the situation the mouse sometimes didn't respond at all while using the touchpad and sometimes it did.

i went back to the device  manager and rolled back the driver update...

any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi niro222,

There is no windows 8 touchpad driver available in support.dell.com, Please try installing the windows 7 touchpad driver in compatibility mode. Use the link below.

http://dell.to/QwMbFk

Download the R257288.exe from the link above and double click on the file and extract it on the desktop in a folder. Look for setup file in the extracted folder. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’. Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’. Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows. Click on ‘Windows 7’.Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes. Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

Please let me know if this helps.

10 Posts

January 18th, 2013 08:00

i tried everything you said to the t, by the end of all of the instruction it told me that a later version of a synaptic driver is already installed on my computer......

but still have no scrolling abilities

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 11:00

Hi niro222,

I am sorry for the delayed response; I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag, so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

No Events found!