Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2015 22:00

unusuable input devices: psmouse serio1: DualPoint TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1 & 6

@Dell,

Please take a look at these bugs reports:

It happens on Linux regardless of the Ubuntu version installed and there is a strong hint that its a bios/firmware/ec bug:

happens with the trackpoint and touchpad

[View:bugs.launchpad.net/.../1258837:550:0]

[View:bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi]

There is also a thread on the LKML mailing list regarding this issue:

[View:lkml.org/.../85:550:0]

[View:www.spinics.net/.../msg33751.html:550:0]

So there is a series of patch for this that got merged in kernel 3.18 but its only a work around and doesn't fix the root issue (you'll still get resyncs).

It is a very frustrating issue as it causes random cursor movement and random mouse clicks and might cause data lost (closing an application by itself).
 (READ the comments on the Launchpad bug report above ^).

You *really* need to explain to us Linux users *IF* you are testing your notebooks that can be purchased with Ubuntu on them and are certified Ubuntu compatible how serious issues like this and the keyboard repetition issue/stuck keys exist/persist for so long without releasing any fix.

Right now with the keyboard repetition issue and the random mouse clicks/movement/resyncs my notebook  is barely usable!

74 Posts

January 1st, 2015 22:00

Latitude E7440 and E6440 are affected

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 02:00

Same here E7440 on all Ubuntu Versions. Problem not fixed with latest Bios A12. For me the Bios Version A08 works best, as the repeating keyboard issue does not appear so often (about 5 times less). But Touchpad is very awful with randomly jumping cursor around.

The driver released for ubuntu 12.04 is more or less a joke, never saw a more worse mouse integration.

A further problem is the Noise of the fan for me. It seems that it stucks at 100% if a temperature is reached and remains on that level until the next reboot even if the temperature is again around 57°C.

I am Dell customer since 10 years. Thinking about to use IBM/Lenovo because of better Linux- Support in future.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 08:00

@Dell, I too have been living with these two extremely aggravating bugs since receiving my machine last November.

Touchpad desynchronization

The touchpad packet stream desynchronizes upon resume from S3 during more than half of S3 suspend/resume events. This results in random cursor motion and click events as the machine comes up from resume. I have found that switching to a VT and then back to the X session is sufficient to resynchronize the driver.

While most loss of synchronization instances are the result of S3, the system will also occasionally lose synchronization during regular operation. I have been unable to identify the conditions which prompt this behavior.

Repeated keyboard events

Repeated keyboard events make the keyboard nearly unusable. Here some fraction (perhaps 10%) of keypresses appear to be delivered twice. It would be as though no debouncing is being performed on the the physical keys; consequently some keys appear to be substantially more likely to bounce than others (in the case of my keyboard, the "m" key is quite prone to repeats).

While it's difficult to reliably quantify this sort of issue, it seems that sometimes when the system resumes from suspend the keyboard works as expected, while in other instances the bug manifests. Others have claimed that this problem worsened after the A08 BIOS update; I have not tested this but I seem to recall keyboard repeats being a problem even directly after receiving the machine.

Both of these issues occur across all kernel versions that I have tested up to 3.17.

I have experience in input device driver development, having reverse engineered and written kernel support for the ALPS touchpad present in the Dell Latitude E6430. I've spent about a day on each of these issues trying to narrow down their root causes to no avail. This is a problem which will need to be addressed by someone with unimpeded access to the hardware and firmware. That being said, with such access there's no reason why this issue should need to go unresolved for more than another month or two.

Indeed, having to live with poor functioning of the basic input devices of a machine which was advertised as supporting Ubuntu and for which I paid nearly $2000 makes me think twice before recommending the Latitude line to colleagues. While the E7440 is otherwise without doubt the most well-buit computer I have ever owned, these two issues nearly entirely nullify all of its positive attributes. I hope that Dell is treating these issues with the care and attention that they deserve, both for my own sake and that of the multitude of others who have indicated that they are also affected by this issue.

As always, occasional updates regarding Dell's handling of this issue are greatly appreciated by the community.

Thank you for your time,

- Ben

2 Posts

January 6th, 2015 13:00

The keyboard issue is being discussed here, en.community.dell.com/.../20712005

Another thread here, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19611600

74 Posts

January 9th, 2015 11:00

[  723.074071] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[  723.075375] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[  723.076146] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[  723.857300] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 1 bytes away.
[  724.371069] psmouse serio1: resync failed, issuing reconnect request

BIOS A07 on the E6440 seems to make this issue more frequent than on A05

74 Posts

January 14th, 2015 08:00

bump...

74 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 12:00

bump, again.

from en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19593360/20719019

RBBen
Create a ticket with Dell?

As I've found today there's no formal way to raise BIOS issues with Dell.  On another issue I was passed from email support to phone support who said I needed a paid software support contract before I could even report an issue with Dell's own software utilities or BIOS.

These are integral parts of the machine as supplied and yet they're not directly supported.  Doesn't matter how serious or obvious the bug, you'd have to go through hardware replacement, OS reinstall, and then hope it got escalated after that.

Justin, Curbedlarry's point gets to the heart of an issue that I've been frustrated by again and again: The lack of any formal channels between technically competent users and those with familiarity with the actual engineering of the hardware makes it very difficult to bring issues to Dell when they arise. As an open-source developer I understand that it can be difficult to keep the signal-to-noise up on a user-facing bug tracker. That being said, software, firmware, and hardware is inevitably buggy and to not give users some facility to report and track the status of their issues is denying this fact.

This is made far worse by the fact that attempting to contact technical support is an exercise in frustration and generally only leads to vague claims of "limited support obligation" and requests to reinstall the operating system. This leaves the forum as the only place to come, which is a generally a terrible place to organize information for on-going issues.

I hope you can bring this issue up with decision makers in the organization. It's a problem that seems to affect most hardware vendors; it would be nice if Dell could make an effort to improve the status quo.

bgamari
The lack of any formal channels between technically competent users and those with familiarity with the actual engineering of the hardware makes it very difficult to bring issues to Dell when they arise.

To be fair the support people I've dealt with have been competent but everything is geared towards hardware or config glitches.  Hence hardware replacement or restoring the OS is the main course of action.

This might cover a lot of user mistakes but driver and BIOS bugs are inevitable early in a machine's life.  It's strange Dell don't want to capture any of this information to improve quality and reliability.  Seems like if your machine boots and isn't on fire, it must be perfect.

I wonder how much of this is down to Dell pumping out too many new machines every year.  My E5440 is totally different internally to the E5430 from the year before and has been replaced after just one year by the totally different E5450.  All engineered in a hurry in the Far-East.

Personally I bought a business-orientated Dell to get a reliable, well supported machine and avoid endless tinkering with drivers and glitches.  Now I'm at the mercy of unsupported proprietary Dell drivers and BIOS.  I should have just bought generic consumer hardware at half the price.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2015 08:00

I'm also affected by this issue on Linux Mint 17.1 running kernel 3.16.0-28. Bios A11

3 Posts

January 25th, 2015 21:00

Hi all,

the problem with jumping around mouse is gone for me by updating to a new Linux-Kernel in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Here is my uname -a

Linux e7440 3.18.2-031802-generic #201501082011 SMP Thu Jan 8 20:13:03 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also in combination with Bios A08 there is no double key problem at the moment. My E7440 works without any problem now.

Also standby works very good with new kernel now.

The "lost sync at byte" messages are still there but seem to have less effect on the system:

[43302.954277] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[43302.955303] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[43302.956334] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[43302.957349] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[43302.958362] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[43302.959377] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
[43302.969335] psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 - driver resynced.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2015 07:00

I installed kernel 3.18.3, and can confirm that there are improvements in this version. Two-finger-scroll works better with this kernel too.

I still have problems with "stuck" keys though. I have bios A11.

Edit: I also still get the "lost sync at byte" messages.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2015 11:00

Try A08 until there is a fix. For me there is no further keyboard-problem since months...

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

I will test new Bios Releases and update here, if there is any improvement.

74 Posts

January 28th, 2015 22:00

I received this PM:

Hi RBBen,

"I just received word our engineers have already been made aware of this issue and are currently working on a solution. I dont have any further details at the moment but will let you know as soon as i have more to share.

Thanks,"

So they're working on it

1 Message

April 22nd, 2015 15:00

Try A08 until there is a fix. For me there is no further keyboard-problem since months...

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

I will test new Bios Releases and update here, if there is any improvement.

Since updating BIOS to A14, I am no longer experiencing keyboard issues.

www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0P7G1&fileId=3430208686

The touchpad is still way too sensitive and palm detect doesn't work.

I get a lot of these errors in dmesg:

psmouse serio1: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1

Running Linux 3.19.3-ARCH

29 Posts

July 9th, 2015 23:00

Hi, same touchpad problem on a Latitude E7440 / BIOS A15 running Fedora 22 with kernel 4.0.6-300.fc22.x86_64.

Very annoying problem, I hope Dell will help us soon.

29 Posts

July 10th, 2015 00:00

Hi, I found a nice workaround for the touchpad problem, please see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593098 .

I'm running Fedora, so the configuration file for my touchpad is /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf . You need to reload the module for your touchpad or reboot your pc after the modifications.

So far my touchpad is running smoothly, no more jumps! I'm going to post some updates in a few days.

No Events found!