Highlighted
emuralimba
1 Copper

upgrading HDD to SSD - Inspiron 1520

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my Inspiron 1520 to make it faster, so I am thinking to get the below SSD internal hard-drive:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=60DF8D2AA5CA7304

So I just want to be sure that my Inspiron 1520 will accept such kind of internal Hard-Drives and will it really make a difference to my PC speed (boot time, loading, etc...)

Currently, my hard-drive is the normal/defult one 160GB (5400RPM). Also, I have the latest BIOS version.

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: upgrading HDD to SSD - Inspiron 1520

It'll work - but you won't see the rated speed from it, since the controller in the system is several generations old (and slower).  You'd probably be better off with a hybrid drive like a Momentus XT - the SSD you're asking about is worth more than the entire system at this point!

0 Kudos
emuralimba
1 Copper

Hi ejn63,

thanks for your reply. i know it is expensive compared to my laptop.

main reason is, i like my laptop. especially 15.4" screen rather than currently available 15.6" and quality of sound.

the basic idea is, i will buy this 256GB hard drive and enjoy my current laptop 1-2years more and upgrade later. as 256 is more than sufficient for me, i will replace this SSD to my future laptop.

Can you please give more information about Momentus XT. and will it be ok with my current laptop?

8 Krypton

The momentus XT is a conventional hard drive with a built-in solid state drive -- the 500G units go for about  $70-80US and will boost your speed, without costing that a solid state drive will.

With the older SATA controller in your system, you're likely to find the performance similar to what you'll get from an SSD.

0 Kudos