Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 19th, 2015 11:00

video playback issues with new XPS 13 Intel 5500 graphics

I'm trying to play .m2ts files on my new laptop, and for some reason there's slight judder, about every second. It's 1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps, and even on a 5-year old laptop, the same files played fine. But on this new laptop, there is trouble. I've lowered the screen resolution, tried to make adjustments to power settings, made several changes in the Intel graphics properties, and have even tried other players.

Does anyone have any advice? Could the codecs be bad?

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 30th, 2015 13:00

I doubt that this is a hardware issue, m2ts files generally require specific media players to be able to run correctly.  Due to encoding practices you may have problems unless you are using a BluRay player such as PowerDVD to play the files. 

Are you noticing playback difficulties with other file formats, such as AVI, WMV or MP4 files, or is it just the .m2ts files?

TB

13 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 10:00

Interestingly enough, it's actually a problem specific to the 2015 Dell XPS 13.

First, I converted the m2ts files into everything else under the sun... (wmv, mov, mp4, etc), and they all exhibited this "judder." Again, it's hard to notice, but the trained eye can spot it a mile away.

So I decided to copy the file onto a flash drive, and go to the Microsoft store and play it on ANOTHER Dell XPS 13. Guess what...exact same problem!! Just to make sure the file itself was not corrupted, I played it on a dozen other computers there...Microsoft surface, an ASUS zenbook, even the Dell XPS 15, and they all played back perfectly.

The only thing I can assume is that it's a hardware issue specific to the XPS 13.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 14th, 2015 10:00

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.  I am back in the office now from vacation. 

When testing, do you notice this for all files, random YouTube movies, downloaded HD media, Blu-Rays, other than these specific files that you have converted to other formats?

This doesn’t sound like an LCD problem but just to make sure you may want to attach and external monitor to the system and see if you notice the stuttering on the external display

It looks like you have done most of the troubleshooting; I can suggest updating the Intel HD graphics drivers.

No Events found!