Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 5th, 2013 17:00

view dvd's on Inspiron 15z

I was having issues with m y Wi-Fi connection and found out it was the Video Card. This was replaced and now I find out I can't watch DVD's on my laptop. ut DVD in and nothing happens. What am I missing and need to do to get back to watching DVD's. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 5th, 2013 21:00

Hi cmaj129,

Please try the below mentioned steps to identify the problem:

• Run Optical Drive Troubleshooter from Windows 7 Troubleshooter.
  • Run MS Fix it: http://bit.ly/ibV0SO
  • Check if Optical Drive is detected in device manager and has any exclamation marks on it, and reply if there any exclamation marks on it.
  • Download and Install the Latest Optical Drive Firmware from the link below and restart the system. Visit the following website: http://dell.to/Mbe3zg
  1. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  2. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  3. Under category removable storage, select the drivers accordingly and click “Download File” and save the file on desktop.
  • Run Dell 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics on Optical drive.to run the test please follow the below mentioned steps:
  1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
  3. Select Custom Test and select “Optical drive”.
  4. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Try the above steps and reply with results.

934 Posts

April 6th, 2013 18:00

If you can't watch DVD's in Windows 8 make sure that "Media Center" is installed.If your system came without Media Center or you installed Windows 8 yourself you need a separate software (KMplayer for instance)

37 Posts

April 6th, 2013 18:00

I have Windows 8 and can't access Windows 7 file.

37 Posts

April 7th, 2013 10:00

I have Winnows Media player isn't that the same. Do I need to set something up to play dvd's on it?

934 Posts

April 7th, 2013 11:00

You need the Windows Media Center Pack (as shown in my previous post).It is not included in Windows 8/Pro and must be purchased separately OR you just download any free DVD software from CNET.com for instance.My preferred player is the KMplayer.

For more information check out the link below:

windows.microsoft.com/.../dvd-playback-help

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi cmaj129,

Just a follow up to check if the issue is resolved after following MicroTest's instructions. Kindly let us know if you require any further assistance. We'd be glad to assist.

No Events found!