Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2012 11:00

whitescreen on vostro 1015 laptop

Hi

I have a Dell vostro 1015 laptop that has a problem.  I turn it on and it has a whitescreen, it will boot up fine, as it will play the log in sound that xp makes when you log in, i also can use the keyboard shortcut to shut down and it will shut down fine, it just has a white screen, that i have no idea what to do about it.

i have read other places that it might be video chip gone bad or the lcd screen needs replaced

please help if able to, thanks

1.1K Posts

October 29th, 2012 08:00

Hi anshumanbhagat619,

Please connect an external monitor to your system and let me know if it works fine. Also, run the LCD BIST diagnostics on your system to run the LCD test:

• Power off the system completely.
  • Press 'D' key on the keyboard and press the power button at the same time; make sure 'D'key is pressed when you press the power button.
  • This should initiate LCD BIST diagnostics.
  • Please let me know if you see the color bars.
Keep me updated. Please reply for any further questions.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2012 14:00

Tech Matt

About the easiest way to test if you have an external monitor,  plug it into the notebook and see if you get a display.  If you have just a white screen on the notebook LCD but the external monitor looks fine, you will need to replace the LCD screen.

If there is no image on the external monitor, then that is a video card problem.  Try booting to Safemode, when you turn on the TV is there an image? If so tap F8 to get to the F8 menu and choose safemode with networking.  If you are able to make it to safemode download the latest video driver, and uninstall the current driver from Windows.  Restart the system and see if you still get the white screen,  If not you should be able to install the video driver.

Please let me know if this helps.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2012 15:00

I would check with our spare parts team, as there are multiple LCDs that shipped with this model of notebook.

accessories.us.dell.com/.../dellitems.aspx

The part numbers that I do have for the service kits are

4F1PR  for the LED TLF screen

645M4 for the WLED anti glare screen.

TB

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 15:00

Hi

Thanks for answering my question.   I tried plugging in an external monitor and it shows up fine, so i am looking at the LCD screen needing replaced.

I just have to find out what kind the laptop will take. Would you happen to know any replacements for Dell Vostro 1015 laptop?  if not thats ok

thanks

October 28th, 2012 02:00

I too have the same problem........ My laptop Vostro 1015.....the screen Jamm's and when i shake the Lid it's Ok and again it Jamm's ......

dn't know what to do please Help me'......... Evrythngs Ok' bt ,m' fed up of the Screen!..

6 Posts

October 28th, 2012 11:00

Im not sure what the problem is, but to update on my problem.....I ended up replacing the screen and everything works ok now.

that might be what you will have to do with yours

October 29th, 2012 07:00

but how much will it cost and can i replace it with LED screen but before it was an LCD screen?....

pls reply!

6 Posts

October 30th, 2012 12:00

You can search for vostro 1015 screen replacements to find out how much for replacement screens mostly around $60

www.laptopscreen.com/.../VOSTRO~1015

to replace it, you can search for how to replace screen on vostro 1015 laptop

www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-lcd-screen-dell-vostro-1015-1014-laptop

hope that helps

but now i am having some issues with it running on the battery the screen with get lines, when it runs on the battery and after the screen goes to sleep and wakes up.

not so much when it is plugged in, as it does it most when running on the battery

1 Message

January 29th, 2013 01:00

HI
I have a problem with My laptop Vostro 1015
When ever i Keep On My Lappi It’s Screen Goes White But After Few Times It Become Fine,,
This Problem Is Running Almost 1 year But Ono-Off Process Resumed The The Solution ,,
But Still im Not Understand what the problem is ,, and Which Action Have to take to Free from this problem .. If Any One Knows About this problem Please Aware the Solution

1.8K Posts

January 29th, 2013 02:00

Hi Samar768,

You can try using your system in ‘Safe mode with Networking’ and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

Steps to access ‘Safe mode with Networking’: 

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  3. Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  4. Select the user account at the log in screen.

Check if the issue persists there.

To be sure about the issue with LCD, you can check if the computer works perfectly fine with external monitor. Also, you can run a test on the LCD of your computer to be sure of that You can watch the detailed steps and how to run LCD BIST from link: http://dell.to/R6XKBV

If the test passes, you can uninstall and re-install the video drivers on your computer by following the steps:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Display adapters”, you will find the video driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Restart your system and click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the video driver under “Video”.
  • Click on the video driver depending on the video card your system has. (Install the same video driver which you uninstalled from “Device Manager”.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the video driver by following the on screen instructions.
  • Restart your computer.

Please reply for further clarifications. 

1 Message

March 26th, 2013 13:00

Hello Mr. Vikram,

I am facing the problem of a recurring white screen, I tried the LCD BIST diagnostics. After pressing the D key and the power button simultaneously, I can see the color bars, white, black, red, blue, green. Kindly help me out with the problem. Thank you.

193 Posts

March 26th, 2013 18:00

Vikram -- if the LCD bist passes, then you have either a MOBO and/or Video cable problem.  Replace the video cable first, if nogo, replace motherboard.  

1 Message

August 10th, 2013 11:00

Hello to Every one..

I'm Using Dell Vostro 1014 For past two yrs & it was working fine.. Suddenly for past 6 months i'm experiencing white screen problem in my laptop.. 

Kindly suggest me with each & every step to solve my problem . hoping that i will be getting positive response from your end & at the earliest too.

Thanks & Regards

Guru Narayanan

1 Message

September 25th, 2013 03:00

Its funny that i see this forum here on the dell website with dell still trying to simply quick fix the issue by selling new lcd screens to a community whom is the victim of an obvious product wide defect. I have had my computer for about a year and a half now and ive been experiencing this issue almost as soon as i bought the product. It first started by the screen dissolving into a screen full of colorful lines, and then eventually turning pure white. I called the dell tech support (located in the Philippines) and they walked me through procedures to test the system by doing screen tests showing different colors and connecting an external computer screen to the computer etc etc. in the end of the call it came to the result of them dispatching a technician whom was a third party technician to my house with a new lcd screen and video chip. He installed the lcd screen and attempted to install a new video chip but in doing so he stripped the screws connecting the chip to the motherboard and directed me to "just try it with the lcd replacement only". And it worked like a charm afterwards. then about a month goes by and it happens again. i go through the same process with the phone support team and again they dispatch another technician to my house to replace the lcd. Again the problem is solved and i am again a happy customer. Once again wouldn't you know it it starts whiting out again. This time though it is not under the one year warranty. And either i pay a ridiculous fee to have the warranty extended or i buy a new lcd and attempt the fix myself. I find this absolutely absurd. Pay good money for a well know brand to avoid these issues only to be shafted by paying for necessary repairs. In googling the symptoms of my pitiful machine i see that this is a problem occurring all over to other customers of the same product. You would think there is some kind of "lemon law" in place to protect consumers from issues like this. I have never had a worse experience with a laptop in my life and ive been through a few of them in my time. One thing i find funny is that i have a toshiba laptop (a bargain brand) that ive had for almost four years and it runs better faster and stronger then this dell ever did and all that without a hitch in hardware or software installed on the system. I will never recommend a dell computer to anyone looking for a dependable laptop and i will never again patronize a company like dell whom is trying to cover up an obvious manufacturer defect. Hopefully somebody reads this and decides against purchasing a dell vostro and going through this nightmare.

Thank you for your time.

1 Message

October 8th, 2013 03:00

Hlo Sir,

I have vostro 1015.when i restart the system it shows always a message which is no bootable internal harddrive no bootable device f1 to rebbot f2 for utility and f5 for onward screen. i don't want to see this messgae on restart time.

please tell me how to detect this problem..

No Events found!