Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 17th, 2016 00:00

wifi not working on inspiron 3147 after ssd crash

my 3147 inspiron crashed last week and I swapped out the hard drive and reinstalled 8.1 using the recovery disk. After windows started, I installed the network driver but I can't see any available wifi network names (wifi is working fine on my desktop so it's the laptop that's having issues).

I've tried running troubleshooting, taking the wifi card out and reseating it, reinstalling the drivers. I also did the fn key to turn wifi off and on but there's nothing onscreen that signals that anything happened.

Any suggestions for next steps?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly private message the screen shot of the Device manager .

Also private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

June 20th, 2016 09:00

I managed to fix it but I am not sure how.

I used an usb wlan adapter to get internet to the device and installed all drivers that I could (I couldn't get one of the chipset drivers to install) and as many windows updates as I could. After having windows 8.1 fully updated and nearly all of the drivers installed (included network drivers) the onboard wlan adapter still wasn't working.

I was convinced that the oem dell wlan adapter was broken until I did the final update to windows 10. this morning, after windows 10 was installed, the onboard wlan started to work again. any ideas what happened here?

No Events found!