Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 05:00

xps 12 (haswell) won't wake up after going to sleep

My new laptop will not wake when it has gone to sleep.

Neither the keyboard, touchpad, screen or the power button will pull it from its slumber.

The fan starts, the light on the keyboard comes on, but it will never resume.

I have to turn ut off by holding "down" the power button for 10 secs, wait a bit, and then turn it on again.

I found a hint somewhere else that the bug could be related to Intel smart start. I disabled it in the bios, and now the computer resumes like expected.

However after boot up I get an error saying that "it seems smart start has been disabled" or something like that.

Is there a bios fix for this in the works? Or am I the only one with this problem?

2.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi tha_lode,

Please try updating the BIOS of the system using the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/11iojrK

Enter the service tag or select the system model.

NOTE: Ensure that the system is more than 30% charged and the adapter is connected during the BIOS update process.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

10 Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

Thanks, but there is no bios there, so I suppose there hasn't been an update to this model yet???

3 Posts

August 9th, 2013 13:00

same issue here. upgraded to new bios no help. looking for a fix

2.2K Posts

August 13th, 2013 08:00

Hi tha_lode,

I have forwarded the information to the team concerned.

Meanwhile, update the BIOS using the link mentioned below and check if the issue gets fixed:

www.dell.com/.../xps-12-9q33

NOTE: Ensure that the battery is more than 30% charged and the adapter is connected during BIOS update process.

This issue for a lot of customers has been fixed by BIOS update. Refer to the thread mentioned below:

en.community.dell.com/.../19517524.aspx

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 10:00

Hey! That seems to have fixed it. Thanks.

2.2K Posts

August 17th, 2013 06:00

Hi tha_lode,

I am glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

1 Message

November 29th, 2013 18:00

I am having the same issue with my XPS 15z (L511z). Laptop is not waking from sleep / hybernate?

Does this Bios update apply to the XPS 15z or is there a different update?

HELP

1 Message

December 5th, 2013 16:00

XPS 12 Haswell w/ i7 just picked it up and also having the same issue. I upgraded to 8.1 and installed all critical updates to date. I have also updated the BIOS as recommended in this thread and still it has trouble waking from sleep. Keyboard lights up, CAPS lock light comes on, fans come on, power switch is lit, but no screen.  Any other recommendations? I might need to return this if not.

1 Message

December 8th, 2013 11:00

My XPS 14 has the same issue and it won't wake up from sleep. I have the laptop for a few months and it worked fine until last week (except slow wifi issue). A week ago It started having the wake up issue and initially I thought the laptop was dead.  I had to do a hard shutdown and startup every time after it went into sleep mode.  I updated the BIOS after reading the recommendation from the forum and it did nothing.

Please let me know if Dell has a fix for this issue.

January 8th, 2014 15:00

That BIOS is a year old and has ben replaced by a newer version bios which still results in the same issue. I cannot sleep or hibernate without this issue and forcing a hard reboot.

Planning to return this laptop if no fix is available

45 Posts

September 15th, 2014 14:00

I have Xps-12 9q33, bios is uo to date yet once screen then hard drive goes to sleep, currently set for 10 min & 15 min respectively on battery power, pc will not wake. the power button flashes and battery status lights will work.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 13:00

DELL XPS 15z here, had identical problem as stated atop. I just recently changed my screen saver to standard one that came with this computer. My screen saver used to be one that rotated through pictures. Ever since I changed that it has been working fine. I am not certain if that was what had fixed however. Hope this helps someone....

5 Posts

April 5th, 2016 04:00

i get this on an XPS 14 (L421X) and its on the latest bios i can find

April 5th, 2016 06:00

Been getting the same problem for a few days.

Model: Dell XPS 13 9333

BIOS: A08

No Events found!