Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2017 05:00

xps 13 keeps freezing/crashing (blue screen)

My xps 13 keeps randomly freezing/giving me a blue screen error.

Consequently, I performed factory reset on my xps and while setting a user account/installing critical updates windows gave me an blue screen error. Additionally, while installing more updates windows froze on me.

Note: This all happened prior to me changing/adding any programs on to windows.

A few hours later, while watching a video my xps 13 froze on me again.

programs now installed on my xps 13 by me:

• Winrar
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Bitdefender Internet Security

My xps 13 has passed all diagnostic test.

Could someone help me please.

EDIT:

The BSODs only happen when I do a factory reset and go through the setup process. Also, prior to the factory reset the majority of freezes happened at the lock screen.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 27th, 2017 15:00

If you are having actual BSODs you should have a dump file you could upload to OneDrive and give us a link.  If you have not changed the Protection settings, it would be a Memory,dmp in the Windows directory,

I assume Win 10?

Have you made any internal changes to hardware?

I got a virus once after downloading WinRAR.

Check the Event Viewer to see if you have any reoccurring error or warning messages.  Ones related to Kernel power are usually due to the Blue Screen but are not the cause,

4 Posts

February 27th, 2017 15:00

I can't see any dump files on my drive, but I can tell you the BSOD is repeatable when I do a factory reset and go through the setup process again (error messages aren't the same...)

Yes Win 10 (XPS 13 9360)

I've never gotten a virus from winrar and considering it was created by the person who developed the rar compression, I think it should be safe.

"Kernel-Processor-Power (Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power)" shows up quite a few times throughout 407 logged events in event viewer. Is 407 events within 10 hours normal?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 28th, 2017 07:00

WinRAR was a problem because of where I downloaded it from...

Kernel power errors will normally occur if he system shuts down for some other reason.  My system had 675 errors in the first day or so.  453 were from the security center, and 62 from DellSupportRemedationService. and 84 from DistributedCOM 10016.  These types of errors can occur during an initial setup.  They should calm down once the system is running.  I am still getting PushNotification errors which I need to investigate.

I am getting these messages which I need to check.  I thought once it was related to a Power Scheme but maybe not.  Since they seem to happen in groups, they may be tied to some event, such as sleep or waking the system.

"The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 39402 seconds since the last report."

The BSOD, frowning face, will create a dump file.  If it is not a Memory,dmp, it might be a dated file with the .dmp extension in the minidump folder.

Microsoft chose to use a Blue background for the recovery system.  It does make it harder to know if someone is seeing Blue Screen for that environment and not a real BSOD.  But it is important to know which is involved.

You might do some research on something called Driver Verifier which you can run and have it watch your system.  If it sees something out of order it will throw a BSOD and produce a dump file.

If the system is getting hot, which you might be able to tell by feeling the bottom, it may also shut down.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2017 06:00

It turns out my motherboard was faulty. XPS 13 is all fixed now :)

1 Message

April 9th, 2017 21:00

Hi there how did you find out that the motherboard was faulty and how did you get it fixed? My XPS 13 has been having these issues repeatedly for a while and it was good after a hard reset for a couple months but now it seems to have come back.

4 Posts

April 9th, 2017 21:00

My XPS 13 is still covered under warranty, so after Dell suggested changing the SSD twice they finally suggested replacing the motherboard, which fixed the problem.

No Events found!