Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2012 09:00

xps 14 ultrabook fan noise

My first time bough the dell  xps 14 ultra book  i5-3317U last week.

In day one, I love everything about the ultra book except the fan noise come up every 3 to 5mins, the noise come up so often even when i m just browsing internet.

It really loud and last for 5 to 10s. This is the only bad thing about dell book

Currently on bio version A04.

Just wondering have anyone fixed this issues.

Looking at refund option...

677 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 13:00

Hi jinger6286,

Please do not worry about the issue as it is repairable. Request you to let me know if it is a clicking noise, grinding noise and which part of the system is the noise coming from. Also sometime the Harddrive makes noise so lets run a diagnostic test on the system by holding the Fn key and starting the system which should tell us if it is an issue with the Harddrive. I have sent you a friend request, Please accept it and provide the system service tag in a private message so that we can have a check on the details and provide you a suitable solution.

Let us know the progress

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Harish_R

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

677 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 11:00

Hi jinger6286,

Welcome to the community

We are sorry for the invonvinence. We can try cleaning the air vents and updating the latest BIOS which should fix the issue. Please find the link below which you can use to update the BIOS. Please select the system model to find the necessary softwares. Request you to connect the charger while updating BIOS and please do not use the system until it restarts while updating the BIOS software

http://dell.to/LVYdTb

Let us know the progress

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Harish_R

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 18:00

dell recommendation

-update to the latest bio version

-clean the air vents

This is a new laptop, just had it on day one.

My current bio is the latest A04 come standard,

Not too sure about cleaning the air vents will help, sin this is a really new

laptop. Is winter ATM, room temperature at 12 degrees to 16degrees.

Is there any other use full solution you can reconment to me?

4 Posts

August 4th, 2012 02:00

Thanks for your professional advice and thanks for the positive answer. I did the diagnostic test like you advice me, every thing was fine, except the hdd 0. It fail at the test. I already reported this matter to the technician. They will come to my house to look at this problem. Really thank for your help those.

1 Message

September 9th, 2012 22:00

Hi I bought xps 14 ultra book 2 days back . The fan is making loud noise. Can you tell me how to over come the problem

7 Posts

September 27th, 2012 02:00

Btw. because of the great graphic chip, i started a game.... the fan was going crazy about that.

7 Posts

September 27th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

i got my brand new XPS 14 too. I was so happy till the fan starts to scream. It is just to loud to take it to my university!

I hope this can be fixed somehow before a have to give it back.

Greetings

Frank

677 Posts

September 27th, 2012 04:00

Hi vamsi1989 and Quarks,

You may try running a diagnostics test on the system fan to check if there are any issues with it. Please perform the following steps to initiate the tests:

1. Restart the computer. As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears.

2. When the ‘Boot menu’ appears, highlight the ‘Diagnostics’ option and then press to start the diagnostics. This will run a series of tests on all the critical hardware components on the system.

3. Once the tests are complete, you would get an option to ‘Continue’ and ‘Exit’. Select ‘Exit’ and on the next pop-up message, press any key to boot to ‘Utility Partition'.

4. Select ‘Test System’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select ‘Fan noise’ from the list of issues on the screen. Automatically it would run the test on Fans and shows the results.

Please reply to this post with the complete error message if the test fails.

You can also try updating the ‘BIOS’ on the system and check if that fixes the issue. You can download the ‘BIOS’ software from the following link:

http://dell.to/LVYdTb

Please select the system model to find the ‘BIOS’ update. Request you to connect the ‘Ac Adapter’ while updating ‘BIOS’ and to not use the system until it restarts while updating the ‘BIOS’ software.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

7 Posts

September 27th, 2012 05:00

Hi Harish,

the test told me that everything is fine (technical). I think it is the choice of the fan model that could not get fixed by patches. It should get exchanged by a better model. After so many years of consuming hardware I'm wondering that such "mistakes" are still getting through the quality insurance. I know that every cent counts in the part list but I think these saved cents will make customers very angry about >1k €/$ hardware. ( Just my point of view )

The BIOS is up-to-date. The update tool was reflashing it.

greetings

Frank

677 Posts

September 28th, 2012 03:00

Hi Quarks,

I request you to private message me your system service tag number. To private message accept my friend request, click on my user name and click start conversation. This will help us to take the issue further.

Please let me know in case of any other queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

7 Posts

September 30th, 2012 18:00

I've had my XPS 14 for about 4 days and have yet to even hear the fan even when pretty warm on the bottom.  Is there a way to verify my fans are even working properly? Is there approved software that will indicate the fans are operational?

7 Posts

October 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi pblakk,

read the above info how to run the diagnostic program. Your post means that eihter your fan is working perfectly and my fan is damaged or your fan is broken. I hope the first meaning is applicable.

greetings

Frank

7 Posts

October 1st, 2012 13:00

If you boot up your system you have to press F12 to get the boot options. There is a diagnostic system selection. And yes, the fan test is included.

7 Posts

Thanks!

7 Posts

Is there an onboard Dell diagnostics program that will test everything on the XPS 14?  If so, how do we run this?  And will it test the fans?

No Events found!