teropekka
1 Copper

Re: xps 14 ultrabook fan noise

Jump to solution

Hi friends,

There is a easy and working solution to this laptop fan noise problem !!!

Just try to adjust power saving settings of Win7.

Go to:

Windows 7 Power Options:

• click the Windows "Start" button

• Enter "Power Options" in the Search field and then click on
    "Power Options" in the Result list

on there go to :

Change plan settings

on there go to :

Change advanced power settings

on there go to :

Processor power management

set ALL Maximum processor state   settings  to   66%         (try 44% if its still too noisy for you)

THATS it.  Laptop FAN is now much more silent.   This works on all windows 7 laptops I have tryed this.  emoticon.BigSmile.title

Some screenshots of those power save settings panels in windows 7

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD12017W0001R01.htm

Br,

Petteri

Finland

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SimonShaw
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Not really a solution cutting max performance down by a third.  In my case I think it was a 'dud' build.  Despite replacement the fan was still very noisy, even on low fan speeds.  It sounded like it was ticking against something.  (And this was after Dell replacement).

Eventually returned the laptop.

0 Kudos
hannan.nasir
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Harish,

I'm experiencing the same issue. I bought Dell XPS 14 few days ago and I cannot stand the noise....As it is new so i don't think cleaning vents gonna do any good. The bios is also up-to-date A13. What should I do?

0 Kudos
Quarks
1 Copper

Jump to solution

AFAIK there is no solution to get this fan working silent. I think it's the design of the fan and the frequency of the noise that the fan produces. And I don't believe that Dell will make a replacement part with another design.

0 Kudos
ybauza
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Harish-

having the same problem...the fans mnoise is not unsusual..no clicking or anything, but it is loud and constant...and my home is ususally around 65 degrees. It wasnt like that before..it just turned on when i used the ultrabook for a long time. The link you provided doesnt take me to the BIOS you reffered to.... please help~

yoli

0 Kudos