Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2012 09:00

xps 14 ultrabook fan noise

My first time bough the dell  xps 14 ultra book  i5-3317U last week.

In day one, I love everything about the ultra book except the fan noise come up every 3 to 5mins, the noise come up so often even when i m just browsing internet.

It really loud and last for 5 to 10s. This is the only bad thing about dell book

Currently on bio version A04.

Just wondering have anyone fixed this issues.

Looking at refund option...

9 Posts

October 28th, 2012 19:00

Also got an XPS 14 with a very noisy fan. Called tech support and they came out and replaced it. The guy didn't wait though and it's STILL noisy.

Now tech support won't replace it as they say the problem will in all likelihood stay.

I cannot recommend the XPS 14 because of this.  (And we have around 200 Dell laptops in house).

3.5K Posts

October 30th, 2012 09:00

SimonShaw

I may be able to help. Please shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature and then click start conversation.  In your message please include your name, address, and phone number and I will be happy to research possible service options.

TB

7 Posts

October 30th, 2012 13:00

Please let me know if there is a solution for this fan problem...

9 Posts

October 30th, 2012 17:00

Dell support refused to send a second tech out, they said the problem probably would not go away. (They seemed to be hinting this noise is normal).

In any case, our account manager is supplying a refund for the unit.

BIOS upgrade to A11 also did not fix this.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2012 10:00

Hi friends,

There is a easy and working solution to this laptop fan noise problem !!!

Just try to adjust power saving settings of Win7.

Go to:

Windows 7 Power Options:

• click the Windows "Start" button

• Enter "Power Options" in the Search field and then click on
    "Power Options" in the Result list

on there go to :

Change plan settings

on there go to :

Change advanced power settings

on there go to :

Processor power management

set ALL Maximum processor state   settings  to   66%         (try 44% if its still too noisy for you)

THATS it.  Laptop FAN is now much more silent.   This works on all windows 7 laptops I have tryed this.  :emotion-2:

Some screenshots of those power save settings panels in windows 7

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD12017W0001R01.htm

Br,

Petteri

Finland

9 Posts

November 29th, 2012 17:00

Not really a solution cutting max performance down by a third.  In my case I think it was a 'dud' build.  Despite replacement the fan was still very noisy, even on low fan speeds.  It sounded like it was ticking against something.  (And this was after Dell replacement).

Eventually returned the laptop.

January 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi Harish,

I'm experiencing the same issue. I bought Dell XPS 14 few days ago and I cannot stand the noise....As it is new so i don't think cleaning vents gonna do any good. The bios is also up-to-date A13. What should I do?

7 Posts

February 21st, 2013 01:00

AFAIK there is no solution to get this fan working silent. I think it's the design of the fan and the frequency of the noise that the fan produces. And I don't believe that Dell will make a replacement part with another design.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2013 19:00

Hi Harish-

having the same problem...the fans mnoise is not unsusual..no clicking or anything, but it is loud and constant...and my home is ususally around 65 degrees. It wasnt like that before..it just turned on when i used the ultrabook for a long time. The link you provided doesnt take me to the BIOS you reffered to.... please help~

yoli

No Events found!