Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 24th, 2014 20:00

xps 17 speakers starting to sound distorted

my speakers just started sounding distorted.  don't recall it happening in the middle of usage, it's pretty noticeable so I would have heard the difference.  it just started a few days ago.  when I plug in headphones it's fine.  how do I test the speakers each side to see if it's one or both?  how do I test the subwoofer to see if it's a problem or just the speakers. I don't suspect it's software but if there's a test then I'd like that as well (no recent updates to affect that I know of).

It does seem to have the most problem with low sounds but even turning the bass all the way down thru maxxaudio settings it's still distorted and muddled sounding.  have to keep the sound volume low.  am considering replacing the speakers vs. external but I want to stay budget. 

thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 25th, 2014 06:00

Hello. I don't know how to turn off the woofer on your model, but if there is a setting I think it would be in the Dell (or Realtek) Audio Manager. To test each of the stereo speakers, you can use the balance control in the Sound properties. Open the Playback tab (right click on the audio icon on the taskbar and click Playback devices), right click on speakers and select properties, then the Levels tab, then click the Balance button.

It is not a true balance control but will allow you to isolate each side.

Usually when the speakers start to distort it is the subwoofer that needs replacing. If you need a link to the Service Manual with instructions for replacing the speakers, let me know but mention the full model name of your laptop (i.e. XPS L701x).

19 Posts

December 25th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for your reply.  It sure would be nice if the maxxaudio software had the L/R in it instead of some complex route.  Anyway, I was pretty sure it was the subwoofer, it'd be nice to be able to isolate it without having to things apart and unplugging it.  I have the service manual already. 

One question I do have is for the replacement subwoofer, my model is the L702X - is that the ONLY model for a replacement or are others compatible from the xps 17 line?

No Events found!