Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2012 07:00

xps m1530 random freezing

Hi I have a dell xps m1530 and recently I have had a problem with random freezing after anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes of browsing the internet.

I have read a few articles on this problem and Im not sure which way to turn yet as they all seem to have mixed results.

I have ran diagnostics and everything passed in the f12 diagnostics. I have also tried turning off wireless,mtouchpad etc but still causes a problem.

At the moment I am running in safe mode with networking (obviously) and no problem as of yet 30mins in.

One fix that has seemed to appear was to change the hd drives (x2) and dvd drive sata ports but I am not sure whether taking the laptop apart is the way to go yet.

Any help would be much appreciated and I am sure there is a fix page here somewhere, I have trauled for hours though.....

intel core2 duo t7250

vista home premium

3gb ram

a12 bios

220gb hdd

10gb hdd

nvidia 8600gt

thanks Ollie

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 19th, 2012 14:00

olliemorrell

If diagnostics passed and you don't notice any lockups while in safemode,  then it is unlikely that you have a hardware problem.

As a further test you can try msconfig.  Click start, search and look for msconfig.  Open msconfig and click the services tab. Please, make sure that "hide all Microsoft" services is checked, click disable all.  Then click the start up tab, click disable all and then click ok.  Allow the system to restart and see if you continue to get the lockups.  IF you do get better performance then you have one or more programs starting up when you turn on the computer that is interfering with internet performance.  I would look at what programs that you have installed that is running in the background, looking in the startup tab in msconfig is a great place to check.  If you don't need a program to be running all of the time, check and see if you can configure it to only start manually.  Please when finished testing, return to msconfig and click "normal Startup" to return the system to normal.

For more suggestions on what to do to diagnose lockups, please check out the following link.

support.dell.com/.../document

I hope that this helps

TB

No Events found!