Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2013 17:00

xps shuts down mid games

hi, my dell xps 15z was running perfectly until I did system recovery using dell backup cds, now it shuts down 5 or 6 min after starting any game, it really annoying, I did every thing, updated bios, installed latest drivers, run dell diagnostics and was ok, and no signs of overheating.

please help

807 Posts

July 25th, 2013 17:00

Does it shut down with a BSOD. If so then please post with details of stop error.

Check Windows Event Viewer for any errors corresponding to the shut down.

July 25th, 2013 18:00

I actually don't know BSOD means, but when it happens, No errors what so ever, it just goes dark and dead, Immediately after I can power it on again and it starts In a very normal way like nothing happened.

807 Posts

Sounds like it's overheating. Check the vents are clear of dust and that you're not blocking the vents when using the laptop. Is the fan running ok?

Boot to F12 and choose diagnostic. Report any errors.

BSOD known as blue screen of death usually occurs when the system encounters an unrecoverable hardware or software fault and shows various error codes which can be used to identify the cause.

807 Posts

Everything in device manager ok? Any yellow exclamation marks or unknown devices?

Did you check windows event viewer. My Dell also has a history of system events. Any critical errors will show up as a red cross

Not overheating, checked cpu temp immediatly after, normal, no fan overcloaking

All vents extra clean, plus i have an extrnal fan

As i love to keep it cool anyway, and no blue screens or errors reported

July 25th, 2013 19:00

No red crosses, i had some troubles before not knowing what graphics card is

Running, nvidia or intel family, i made aure that nvidia takes over in games thru

Nvidia control panel, everything ok with device manager.

807 Posts

July 26th, 2013 03:00

Do the shutdowns only occur during gameplay? Any particular game or all games?

Try updating to the latest drivers from the manufacturers sites.

Intel

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

Nvidia

www.nvidia.co.uk/.../notebook-win8-win7-64bit-320.49-whql-driver-uk.html

July 26th, 2013 10:00

All drivers up todate, cards, bios, all. It happens with all games

Except flash and small games, a little hint, I had a pc since 1988 IBM

I have seen it all but nothing frustrating like this

807 Posts

July 26th, 2013 11:00

Quite surprised you don't know what a BSOD is if you've owned PC's for over 20 years :emotion-4:

Windows Event Viewer should record any unexpected shutdowns. Please check it and report any event id's.

Sorry, you didn't make it clear if it ONLY happens during gameplay. Does it shutdown when using internet, playing videos, DVD's etc? Particularly interested if it's only happening whilst using CPU intensive applications.

Check your task manager for any other program using high CPU cycles whilst gaming.

How old is the laptop now? Even though the vents are clear the fan and heatsink could be clogged. Even the thermal paste could do with re-applying.

Typically the CPU will throttle back when starting to overheat resulting in a performance slowdown. Do you see this happening prior to a shutdown?

Are there any parts of the laptop that seem unusually hot...anywhere.

Power off laptop. Disconnect all external devices. Remove power adapter and battery. Hold power button for 30 secs. Re-seat memory modules / HDD. Re-attach battery and power adapter. Power up and check if problem persists.

Carry out extended memory test. Boot to F12 and choose diagnostics. This test can typically take a couple of hours to complete.

Apart from any obvious hardware problem then that only leaves software.

Prior to the system recovery that you did...were you using different versions of your graphics drivers. So when you re-installed everything did you re-install different (more up to date) drivers and then the problems started. Again when you re-installed everything did you flash the BIOS to a newer version. Has the machine changed in any way since you recovered the system?

I can't say for sure if it's being caused by overheating and it does seem odd that this has only started to happen after a system restore. It may be a coincidence (hence the checking of fan and heatsink) but who knows.

Please attempt to carry out all suggestions above (that should keep you busy for a few hours) and report back.

Oh I forgot...bad CMOS battery can cause unexpected shutdowns too. Might be worth swapping that while you're at it :)

July 26th, 2013 12:00

Well, you should have said blue screen instead of bsod :-))

Anyway, I have XPS 15z, i7 q2880, 8 gb ddr3 ram

Nvidia 2 gb 525m, so basically designed for gaming,

I regret buying it now, as i should have bought the xps desktop not

The notebook, anyway, i cant separate the battery as its builtin not

detachable unless i screw open the device.

This happens Only during gameplay, but since it takes only a few minutes

to occur, i don't think its related to cpu intensive activity

One other problem, the nearest dell authorized support center

Is in dubai 1200 km away, here in KSA ":-((" unfortunately

Dell as a company doesn't exit, only retail stores for all brands

together, Sell and forget :-((    

807 Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

High spec games are very CPU intensive and the i7 CPU puts out a lot of heat anyway. Coupled with all the other components giving out their own heat and your locality...it's not surprising that it's acting this way.

There are numerous reports about this model on this forum and elsewhere regarding overheating issues whilst gaming. If your system is still under warranty then I'd certainly contact Dell.

No Events found!