Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2011 02:00

8 Beeps on start-up

Hello,

I have a problem with my Dell XPS L701X, I bought it 1 year ago. But since a few days my laptop Beep's 8 times at the start-up. when it does I ussualy just power off my laptop because of the annoying sound, and turn it back on. Once I powered it on and off for 3-4 times it doesn't beep anymore an works fine. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I already searched the internet and I found that someting could be wrong with the GPU or something. And it said I had to hold down the D button at start-up so I could check if my collours where right. So i did and all my collours where just fine. If anyone knows more about this problem then please reply soon because my warrenty expires at jan. 11

PS. Sorry for my bad english

BTW. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits

904 Posts

December 11th, 2011 04:00

Hi TheNorman123

8 Beeps on startup means the LCD on system has failed, a 6 Beep code would mean you GPU.

Now since you turn on and turn it off and it works fine, i would suggest running an LCD Test as well as Pre-boot System Analysis.

How to run these tests ? Turn off your laptop.

- LCD Test is run by holding down the 'D' key and then powering on your laptop, keep holding down 'D' you should see color bars on your LCD.

- Pre boot system assesment is run by hitting the 'F12' key immediately after turning on your system and choosing 'Diagnostics' from the options displayed.

As per your scenario i have a hunch of possible cabling issue since its intermittent and since your warranty expires on Jan 11. Why don't you report this problem and send it across to the Service Center for Diagnosis ?

I did it last time when i had some other intermittent problem, just before my warranty was about to expire and got the suspected parts replaced. :-)

December 11th, 2011 06:00

I already runned the LCD test. I will run the diagnostics now and see what happens, Reason why i didn't send my laptop to dell yet is because i can't really miss it for a few weeks. so i tought maybe it can be solved without having to miss it. I will report the results after i ran the test

And thank you for your early respond

December 11th, 2011 10:00

I run the diagnostics test and a few errors occured, These are the errors

The first error occured during the diagnostics test:

Error code 0146

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error(s)

After this test I could choose the option to run an extended test and these errors occured:

Error code 0F00:1332

Msg: DISK - Block 37402165: interrupt Request(IRQ) did not set in time

same error happend for several other Blocks

When the extrended test was completed i ran an extra test that matches ur problem, as problem i choose from the "Sympton tree" was something like "strange sounds coming from computer" during the test these errors occured:

Error code 0F00:0E32

Msg: DISK - interrupt Request(IRQ) did not set in time

Error code 0F00:0D32

Msg: DISK - Interrupt(IRQ) did not sent in time

and a few more with the same message and different error codes soo didn't wrote them al down

Does anyone know what these errors mean? and if they can or cannot be fixed? be sure to read the first post to see the main problem

904 Posts

December 11th, 2011 13:00

You can ignore the first message, however the i am not sure about the rest of the error codes.

You don' have a CD/DVD in your optical drive do you ?

It could be a problem with your HDD or the Mother Board.

Depot repair would take more than a week or so, but in your case they would do a replacement of the suspected parts.

Which could include Memory, HDD and Motherboard.

7 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 13:00

Help I have same problem with xps l702x Changed CPU, motherboard,LCD ribbon, LCD panel and ram. Still 8 beeps Lost what to do next

1.8K Posts

September 25th, 2012 14:00

Hi Judy,

In most of the Inspiron laptops, '8 beeps' code is for the LCD failure. Pressing D and power button will initiate a diagnostics test on the LCD of your computer. May I know if this issue is intermittent or happens every time you power on the computer?

However to assist you in a better way, I need to know the system model. I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system details and help you further.

Please reply with the information.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2012 14:00

Having the same problem with my Inspiron!!! Have been on the phone for over a month will Dell about this issue. I can log on and access the internet. BUT--

STILL can hear the 8 beeps very faintly in the background!?! This issue is driving me crazy. I have 3 dell computers and feel like I will NEVER own another one

again at this point.. Was told to hold down the D key and start butowton and all the colors did their thing. and the beeping didn't start until around the 4 th time

when I shutdown and restarted. THE BEEP ARE BACK. I wish SOMEONE could help with this irritating? problem.

Thanks for letting me blow off  steam. Hope we can get some help. Forgot to mention that it is Inspiron laptop and it was 1 year old in Aug. 2012. Dell sent

new disks for hardward and software and reloaded the whole thing. It is still not fixed.

7 Posts

September 26th, 2012 07:00

I still have my laptop which looks like new, but still as I suggested before after changing everything and spending a lot of money on parts that made no difference. I could have bought a new one. I changed  everything, the LCD , the ribbon, the ram, the CPU, keyboard, and even the motherboard and still got the same issue. Either I'm very unlucky and have got 2 dead boards which are supposed to have been refurbished by dell, or something's amiss here and it's a bios problem. I can boot only to an external monitor but go no further than the bios. I can't even flash the bios because the dreaded 8 beeps occurre before it will boot off anything, and yes tyres the hold d' test thing which fails.

I'm at a huge loss now and have brought loads of xps's in the past. I don't think I will buy another again. No help from DELL whatsoever .

Chabze

3 Posts

September 27th, 2012 15:00

Chabze & Chinmay- thanks for responding. Dell Tec. left this P.M. and he replaced the MOTHER BOARD and said it was something wrong with a card inside. Hoping it is fixed this time. Only after I tried the second step mentioned in one of the above posts - running the throught scan for boot- and called Dell again after it checked everything green except the Hard drive and it "stopped at 95% on the bar and had been running for almost 2 HRS. Then Dell said it was the mother board. The time and money Dell has spent (not counting my time and money) why didn't they just send me a new computer and saved them and myself some money and stress?  Told them I had been on this forum and that I was not the only one that has had this 8 beep thing going on and someone had suggested it may be the mother board.

Thank you all so much. ( and don't anyone hold their breath that this is over with!!)

September 27th, 2012 15:00

Hi chabze,

I understand that it must have been inconvenient for you to not have the computer up and running. I appreciate the efforts and time that you have spent to fix this issue. You mentioned that the BIOS is accessible on an external monitor. Hence, the primary issue seems to be with the LCD screen. 
I will try to help you in the best possible way for which I am sending you a friend request via private message; please accept it , send me the Service Tag and the account information through private message. I will check the warranty status, system configuration and review the account history. Please do not share the Service tag in the open forum.

Also, where were the parts replaced from; Dell or local technician?

1.8K Posts

September 28th, 2012 09:00

Hi Judy,

Glad that the issue is resolved. 

Please keep me posted in case you need further help.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2012 10:00

I am also having the same problem.8 beeps at the startup n then the white screen.This problem is intermittent but its driving me crazy.As on many occasions when u r in the dire need of ur laptop it leaves u alone.So kindly help me to resolve this issue.

1.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2012 17:00

It was my mother board. Took forever for Dell to finally admit or really find out what the problem was. I found the answer here and "suggested" that may be the problem. It took almost a month of phoning and holding B4 tech was sent to replace motherboard. Good luck.

November 23rd, 2012 04:00

I am also having this 8 beep problem and the dell service center has already taken rs 1400 from me for servicing and now they are saying you have to take some warranty package worth Rs16500 which makes a total of 18000 approx which is equivalent to the price of a low config new laptop. i am unable to understand what should i do. should i spend so much or not. My laptop is dell inspiron n5010. 

No Events found!