RE: ASF2 Force off

Thanks for the extra details Lawrence,

I'll get this tested and let you know what i find. From what you're describing though my initial thought would be it's being caused by a motherboard failure or a loose connection inside making contact with the board when the system is moved.

Have you had any service to this system previously / would you be comfortable removing the bottom cover to confirm there are no loose screws or loose components? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
CurbedLarry
Silver

Shawn,

Now you mention it there is occasionally a sound of something moving but I assumed it was in the DVD drive.

One of my hobbies is repairing watches so stripping down a laptop should be easy but see below, it's no 5 minute job!

Issue isn't a priority for me (unlike the fan) but will have a go when I have free time.

Lawrence.

0 Kudos

Thanks Lawrence,

I cant imagine it will give you trouble after tearing down watches Smiley Happy Let us know how it goes and if you find the cause of that noise. 

0 Kudos
CurbedLarry
Silver

وايت وستنجهاوسوايتوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسوستنجهاوسوايتوايتوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسوستنجهاوسوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسوايتوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسوستنجهاوسوستنجهاوسوايتوايتوايتوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسوستنجهاوسوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستن

EDIT: Looks like the forum was hacked with arabic characters filling the spaces, fixed now.

0 Kudos
CurbedLarry
Silver

وايت وستنجهاوسREوايت وستنجهاوس: وايت وستنجهاوسASF2وايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسForceوايت وستنجهاوس وايت وستنجهاوسoffوايت وستنجهاوس

Shawn,

I went as far as removing the palm rest and exposing most of the guts (which are all tightly packed).

During this a plastic tab fell out, must have been the cause of the rattle.  Nothing else was loose.

About to see if I can force a reboot... Will update with the result.

EDIT:  Managed to force a reboot :-(

With laptop upside down, pushed battery on side where connector is and did it.

Seems the battery just isn't tightly locked in place enough

Dell has some form in this area:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Lawrence.

0 Kudos
pe984
Copper

i have a dell precision 3510 i7 6820hq, 16 Gb Ram, amd firepro w5130 w/2 GDDR5, and ssd, my notebook shuts down when high percentage of resources is requested, for examble running photoshop and autocad, this happens only on battery, when im with the ac, everything works fine...REplacing battery didnt work, what should i do? thanks

0 Kudos
duchboy100
Copper

I have this same issue. I have a brand new XPS 13 touch, i7 8550U, 16GB ram, 512SSD, FP reader etc. I am getting ACPI power management power off, then shortly after (30 mins) ASF2 force off. There are no errors recorded anywhere before the force off within that 30 minutes. Done this a few times now. Will probably be returning this computer from the looks of it. Nothing like spending $2k for something that doesnt run properly.. Any input anyone on any solutions?

0 Kudos
neperez
Copper

Hi there,

I've been having the same issue as are the rest of us on this post:

en.community.dell.com/.../20023753

We are still trying to figure the issue but have gotten no response from dell.

0 Kudos
asksam
Copper

I am facing similar issue in Dell Gaming Laptop series 7000. It's random shutdown or restart once in a day.

0 Kudos
duchboy100
Copper

has anyone noticed it always happens at exactly 60% battery life? then randomly thereafter. I am just about to put it back in the box to send it back and find something else sadly, because this issue seems all too common. Just wanted to mention this in case it helps someone out.

0 Kudos