Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2017 11:00

Additional memory for 7710

I have a Dell Mobile Precision Workstation 7710 with a Xeon E3-1535M v5 processor (Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W) and 32GB, DDR4-2133MHz SDRAM, 4 DIMMS, ECC. I process some very large files in Photoshop and unexpectedly find that I could use more RAM. My impression is that 4 DIMMS means the slots are all filled and there is no room to install additional memory w/o discarding existing DIMMS. Is that correct?

Also, when I look to see whether installing additional memory is relatively difficult or relatively easy, I see reference to “Primary Memory” and “Secondary Memory.” My understanding is that RAM is all Primary Memory, Secondary Memory referring to a storage device. Is that correct?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 11th, 2017 12:00

There are four total sockets - -you probably do have 4X8 now, meaning two minimum will need to be replaced to upgrade.

The primary RAM is under the base cover (2 slots).  The secondary memory (the other two slots) is under the keyboard, meaning you must remove the keyboard to access those sockets.

The owner/service manual has the details.

www.dell.com/.../Removing-and-installing-components

No Events found!