Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2017 17:00

Alienware 15R2 Battery-Cable Flickering

Hello,

A few weeks ago i unplugged the ac cable from my Laptop, (Alienware 15R2). As soon as i unplugged it, pc shut down completely. I replugged and restarted it and got a ''battery experienced critical failure, replace battery'' or something like that message from BIOS. Laptop worked fine on cable only.

I ordered and replaced the battery with a new one. The new battery charge fine from 0% to around 65%. After it reaches 65%, the laptop switch between plugged and battery power every 5 seconds. Sometime, it eventually critically crash and close. If i shut down the laptop, it eventually end up charging completely to 100%. When it's at 100%, there is no flickering and everything works fine.

A few things i already tried:

1) Unplugging replugging battery. No change

2) Reinstalling drivers. No change

3) Running SupportAssist diagnostics at 70% and 100%. Every tests passed with success including battery

4) Tried disabling battery desktop mode. No change

5) I did a few cycles of completely discharging and recharging battery for calibration. No change

6) Ran the diagnostics from BIOS at around 75% charge. Battery passed. Spamed battery charger test and got differents results everytime: charging, idle not charging and charger not detected.

7) Ran the diagnostics from BIOS at 100% charge. Everything passed with success including charger.

Something is wrong somewhere wether it's damaged charger, dc jack, motherboard or faulty battery and i'd like to find out what it is before i drop 100$+ on a new charger of worse on a new laptop or motherboard or something else. Is there anything i could do to find the faulty component(s)?

Regards,

Matthew

2K Posts

July 16th, 2017 20:00

Hi Matthew,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible? 

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, without the power adapter disconnected, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Update the BIOS - restart the system and check the functionality.

If another adapter works fine, replace the adapter. If the adapter fits in loose, then replace the dc port. If nothing works, then you would need to replace the motherboard.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ 

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2017 20:00

Hello Rishi,

Yes, i'm using the original Dell Adapter i got when i bought the laptop. It visually looks to be in good condition and is not loose in the dc port. System is in good condition. I have no other adapter to test with.

I have run the BIOS test before. The test succeed when adapter is connected and battery fully charged or when its charging from 0-65%. Test flickers between fails and success every 5 when i test from 65 to 99% battery charge. Fails message doesn't say the charger is deffective, it just doesn't see it.

Battery heath is fine from BIOS test. BIOS is already up to date.

Thank you

2K Posts

July 17th, 2017 19:00

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the update.

Kindly review my previous response. I have not suggested for the onboard diagnostics via f12 boot menu, I have rather suggested to check the adapter and dc port functionality while in the BIOS environment.

Please perform this - "Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, without the power adapter disconnected, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point." It will help isolate if the adapter or the dc port is faulty.

I suggest you to first try a different power adapter. If you cannot borrow one, take the system to PC World / Best Buy / any local store and ask them to try a good known power adapter on this system to determine the functionality.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!