Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 25th, 2016 21:00

Alienware 17 R3 - not charging during game play even though it is plug

When playing games, the computer drains the battery and noticed that the battery is not charging based on the icon at the bottom right, after ignoring it, the 10% windows warning of low bat appeared and it keeps draining because it is not charging. During this scenario, my power adapter is plug-in with lit on. I dont really know what is wrong with the unit because, if you close the game itself, it can charge normally. Im guessing that it doesnt produce power to the battery while charging at a game play.

another thing, contacted chat support and got remote support, he was connected and he was in another session then waited for 20mins. without solving anything. just wasted my time for 20mins.

any thoughts or solutions that i could do it myself? thanks.

28 Posts

October 25th, 2016 23:00

The power supply may not be putting out enough power to keep charging it while the computer is running games.  This shouldn't happen, how long has this been going on?  Is this a new computer?  Has it ever worked right?  You should contact Dell and let them know they need to do a swap of this power supply for you.

October 26th, 2016 21:00

i have it since started the dimming screen issue. motherboard got replaced just a few weeks. its not even a 1yr old lappy. so sad. Yes, I have contacted them but not have time to chat with them again.

October 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi, 

Since you mention that the motherboard was changed,

1. have you tried updating the BIOS firmware and the chipset drivers?

2. Does this happen with all the games?

3. Does this happen with videos as well?

4. Have you tried changing the battery power plan?

5. Please run a a hardware diagnostics and share the results. 

If possible do share a private message with the service tag, registered owner's name and email address  You  can send me a private message by hovering the mouse over my name, which should give you an option to send me a private message

November 2nd, 2016 07:00

Aniketh, I will answer all of it as for documentation.

1. BIOS have been updated but re-installed remotely but nothing chnage. By the way, chipset drivers are useless in Dell download page since Im using Windows 10.

2. Yes, only happens in a game.

3. The video only dims the brightness because of plug & unplug battery charging status.

4. Power plan is in High Performance.

5. Hardware diagnostic are perfect this includes DellAssist extended diagnosis and F2 Diagnostics

After talking to Dell Supoort and a Technician came in, the online diagnosis results, Dell assume the laptop battery and AC adapter need to be change. The technician found out that the culprit was the AC adapter and I have tested all day by playing games and the issue can not be replicated.

July 7th, 2017 14:00

update, the issue came back and i have to send it back to depot for repair. They changed the motherboard but now, whats my warranty since the motherboard was replaced?

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 20:00

Have the same problem, Thanks to this problem my battery will wear out quickly. Give us a solution soon.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 20:00

Have same problem. Thanks to this problem my battery will wear out quickly. Give us a solution soon.

No Events found!