Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2016 09:00

Black Horizontal Line Top of Screen

Hi everyone.

I have a DELL Inspiron 14 3000 Series (Camera HD, Truelife, HD Screen 14.0)

Two days ago, a small black line appeared in the right top part of my laptop. The nex day it transform into a complete black horizontal line that cross all the top part of my screen.

I don´t move my laptop from my desk, it hasn´t fallen, no hits, anything.

What could happen?

Thank you very much for any help.

Regards.

September 30th, 2016 05:00

Hi Chewas,

Thank you for reaching to Dell Community Forum.

Please try the following steps to check the LCD screen:

* Shutdown the computer.

* Press and hold the Fn key, then press and release the power button. Release the Fn key when the message "Diagnostic boot selected" is displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.

* Release the Fn key.

* The PSA diagnostic sequence begins.

* The system produces a number of alert tones.

* You will now see a series of horizontal and vertical color bars across the entire screen.

* You will be prompted with a question if you see the color bars. Press N to forcibly invoke the LCD Built-in Self Test

* You will need to respond to the question within 30 seconds.

* Diagnostics of the remaining components within your computer will continue.

Note the sequence of beeps or error codes.

PSA diagnostics will prompt for input during some tests. The resulting error message does not necessarily indicate hardware failure.

For example: User input is required during the color bar test. Failure to input a response will eventually result in a timeout error: 1000-0333 Graphics test timed out waiting for keyboard response. This does not indicate a graphics failure has occurred.

Can you also check with an external monitor?

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

7 Posts

September 30th, 2016 12:00

Thanks DELL-Akshatha M...

I did what you told me. Zero Errors. It takes me more than an hour to run all test. No Errors.

I can´t connect a monitor, I do not have HDMI cables. I will look for one this weekend.

How can I write you a private message?

The black line is getting bigger, now is 0.039 inches.

Starts 0.39 inches down from the top of the screen and extends almost 10.24 inches to the right.

Thanks for your help.

7 Posts

September 30th, 2016 12:00

Thanks DELL-Akshatha M...

I did what you told me. Zero Errors. It takes me more than an hour to run all test. No Errors.

I can´t connect a monitor, I do not have HDMI cables. I will look for one this weekend.

How can I write you a private message?

The black line is getting bigger, now is 0.039 inches.

Starts 0.39 inches down from the top of the screen and extends almost 10.24 inches to the right.

Thanks for your help.

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 01:00

I have also experienced the extact same problem with a black horizontal line/s on the top section of my screen of my Dell Inspiron 15 (3537) which first appeared on 30 September 2016 (Australian Time) and the Black lines are now increasing in thickness.

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 09:00

Hi Vinnie 2014.

My problem starts Wednesday September 28  with a black spot, then it was a black line that continues to grow. Now is crosses all my screen, from one end to the other.

Do you know whta is happening?

Maybe the display, some kind of problem in the screen?

Thanks, regards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 10:00

Hi Chewas,

Thank you for your reply .

Please add either me or Akshatha M to you list and you will be able to private message us.

Thanks

Robin

2 Posts

October 4th, 2016 02:00

Hi Chewas,

I have no idea why this is happening but all I know is that the black lines are getting thicker each time I log onto the computer. Also I did not drop my computer or damage the screen so it is a complete puzzle why this happening especially why the black lines as getting thicker. My black lines are not as serious as your problem with a 10.24 inches on the right or your screen. I have connected the computer to an external monitor and the black lines do not appear so I assume it is the Laptop monitor that is faulty and not the video driver. It is a bit disappointing that this has happen after only two years since I purchased the new Laptop.

I now plan to purchase a new screen and install it myself.

Best Regards

Vince

7 Posts

October 4th, 2016 08:00

Hi Vince.

Thanks for your comment.

The black horizontal line now goes from one end to the other and it is 0.079 inches. And it is like you said, not only one line but like 3 or 4 together, making it one thick.  

I will try today to connect my laptop to a external monitor and see what happen.

If the lines disappear, I will start doing what you are going to do, purchase new screen.

And it is totally disappointing, I have mine for just one year...

Kind regards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 4th, 2016 11:00

Hi Chewas,

We are awaiting for your response on private message .

Thanks

Robin

7 Posts

October 5th, 2016 19:00

Hi Robin.

My screen works with a external monitor.

I was remembering that months ago, a kind of flash appeared in the bottom part of my screen.

It was like a light bulb was flashing, on and off, and after the flashings the part where the flash appeared stayed like it was burn, gray color, more dark than the tool bar.

How I know what screen I need to replace, the number, serie? Without open it.

October 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi Chewas,

Please private message us the service tag of the system, we will check on the system configuration and guide you accordingly.

To private message, you need to add me as a friend and only then you can message me.

7 Posts

October 7th, 2016 08:00

Black Line is getting bigger...

October 7th, 2016 10:00

Hi Chewas,

Thank you for the request.

Awaiting your response on private message.

No Events found!