Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2011 13:00

Boot from external USB DVD drive with Dell XPS m1330?

Is it possible to boot a Dell XPS m1330 using an external USB DVD drive?

I am using BIOS version A15 on my m1330 and have set the appropriate BIOS-level boot settings (and tried the F12 boot option), but nothing works.

My external USB DVD drive is the SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Slim External DVD Writer (model: SE-S084D/TSBS).

I recently bought a SSD drive and a caddy to replace the internal DVD drive, but do not want to install it until I can boot from an external USB DVD drive, in case of problems, or when I need to install software from a CD/DVD.

I have searched extensively, but not found a definitely answer, although many people seem to have problems booting from an external USB DVD drive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 21st, 2011 14:00

I have always been under the impression that the USB boot is for a storage device.

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2011 12:00

Thanks for your reply.

Have you been able to boot from an external USB storage device (i.e. external USB hard drive)?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 22nd, 2011 12:00

I don't have your model of laptop.

On my older D400 which has an external DVD drive which I was too lazy to use, I installed Xubuntu Linux from a USB flash drive.

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2011 22:00

I'm looking for answers specifically for the XPS m1330.

Just curious though, so you were able to BOOT up from the USB flash drive?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 04:00

Just curious though, so you were able to BOOT up from the USB flash drive?

Yes, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to install Xubuntu since as I said I was too lazy to get out the external DVD drive.

If a 7-year old laptop can boot from USB flash drive, I don't see why yours can't do the same.

No Events found!