Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2010 07:00

Can't remember BIOS Password

Hello - I have a Latitude 1545 and I have set the password at the system level, and I must have been a real genius and not only typed it wrong, but confirmed it as well and now I cannot access my system.  Is there anyway to reset this so that I can log onto my computer?  UGH.... super.... genius....

Thanks!

Chris

75 Posts

November 17th, 2010 07:00

I forgot the BIOS password for my Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop recently and ran into a bit of trouble recovering it.

Dell sent me down a "rabbit hole" 4 times by routing my consumer support request calls to India, Malaysia, wherever where the Dell technician for whatever reason could not contact the department responsible for issuing the system specific master password needed to unlock the BIOS with.

Finally, after 4 failed attempts with using my express service code to get support I decided to follow Dell's business support prompts where that technician was able to contact the appropriate department and have my system specific master password generated to unlock the BIOS with.

Moral of the story is Dell Consumer support (India?) cannot or will not help you recover your BIOS password but Dell Business support (America) will.

I am amazed that Dell would spend more time/support $ to waste their customer's time rather than just generate the system specific BIOS password the 1st time a customer calls.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=E21A18454B4A6550E030A68F27286358&doclang=en&cs=

2 Posts

November 17th, 2010 08:00

Thank you for sharing your pain and sorry you had to go through that.  I expect to have pain as I was dumb enough to not type the password correctly when setting it up to begin with.  I will give that a shot and see how it works and then update this thread.

Regards,

CB

75 Posts

November 17th, 2010 08:00

I'm slow to catch on but after following the consumer support dead-end (4) times calling Dell business was my last option.

What amazes me is the link to the Dell knowledge base article I provided in my previous post tells you to call Dell to reset your BIOS password.

I even got (2) call backs from Dell India where the technician followed up to tell me he still could not help me.

I don't get why Dell would want to waste my time or theirs chasing after some elusive department that issues the system specific BIOS master password?

It seems a lot easier, more efficient and will provide better customer relations to help the consumer resolve a problem the 1st time he/she calls for support.

February 11th, 2017 19:00

hello forgot my dell secure manager bios password for tag number 

service code 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 12th, 2017 04:00

You need to place a voice call to Dell support.  Be prepared with your registration details and if the system is out of warranty, with a credit card to pay for the call.

1 Message

February 13th, 2017 22:00

Open up a browser and navigate to "https://google.com" search "BIOS master password". Whatever problem your having the answer is located in one of those first page links. I GUARANTEE IT!!!

No Events found!