Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PT

December 14th, 2011 17:00

Charger runs Laptop but does not charge battery??

I would love to know why Dell's chargers have been so bad these past few years and don't last, I've had to replace numerous chargers for our 5 laptops and again a "genuine" Dell original charger is giving us problems my daughter' inspiron and also when I tried it in  my XPS laptop (it will power the laptop but will NOT charge the battery) .. I don't know if they are specing out too low voltage or just supplying sub-par quality blocks..  But it is most definitaly a running problem, my other two daughter's 4 year old Macs have had absolutely NO problems since day one where 2 of our Vostros went through 4 and a Studio and a Inspiron has gone through one each!! Something is most definitely wrong here..

Note the batteries in both my daughters Inspiron and my XPS are new Dell batteries..

83 Posts

December 17th, 2011 08:00

guess I'm the only one having issues with Dell chargers??  

4.4K Posts

December 17th, 2011 23:00

In reference to the charger working in the Inspiron notebook and not the XPS (will not charge the battery), if the charger actually charges the battery in the Inspiron, then I would guess that the charger in question is a 50 watt charger.  The XPS needs a larger wattage charger.  If it sees one that is not rated high enough, it will turn off the charging circuit and only power the XPS.

No Events found!