Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 18th, 2009 20:00

Cursor jumps around when typing

This has been happening when typing emails in Outlook. It will be interesting to see if it happens while typing this. So far it's been OK. I have a Dell XPS M1530. There it did it just then, the 1530 jumped into the subject field. It always jumps into somewhere I have already typed. So it doesn't just happen in Outlook. It is very annoying. I am using a Bluetooth mouse, but also there is a touchpad just under my hands. Could it be that I bump it by mistake?

I don't know it that's the problem as the touchpad cursor is different to the typing cursor. I'm watching the touchpad cursor and it's not moving. The typing cursor is behaving itself now. I have just moved the touchpad cursor up the screen a bit and the typing cursor is still behaving itself. Sorry about all this running commentary on what's happening, but it was misbehaving before and now it's not.

Does anyone have any clues on this problem? While I am typing my hands are well clear of the touchpad. It just jumped again, and it did not jump to where the touchpad cursor was, so it's not related to that.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 18th, 2009 21:00

Spiderxps,

You computer has, what is called lazy wrists. When you're typing, your wrist are accidentally bumping the touchpad. This can cause different things to happen.

My suggestion is to double click on the touchpad near the clock. Click on touchpad settings. I have all mine set in the middle settings except the sensitivity one, which I have set one notch lower than half.

I turned off zoom as I did not like that feature.

If you click on driver select, you can check the box that says, disable touchpad when a external USB mouse is detected.

Rick

8 Posts

June 19th, 2009 06:00

I got on the phone today with a Dell technician for another issue and I brought this one up as well. The touchpad driver had not been installed, so I did that. Now I have disabled the touchpad when using a mouse. This also applies to a bluetooth mouse. He also went through services that might be conflicting and dealt with them. Something to do with keyboard delay. Anyway, I am typing now and the cursor is not doing anything stupid, which is a great relief. That was real annoying.

I have just turned the mouse off now which enables the touchpad. I have moved the mouse cursor to the front of this text and the typing cursor is still working fine. So whatever he has done, be it installing the driver for the touchpad or closing down some unwanted services, everything is going fine even with the touchpad enabled. So I am happy now.

But thanks for your reply. Because at first he was only talking about services etc which might be affecting keyboard delay and then I mentioned the touchpad because of your suggestion and he said, yeah that's a good idea. So thanks for your help. :emotion-1:

And I have typed all this without the cursor jumping around, which was definitely not the case earlier this afternoon. Thanks.

Cheers

John

6 Posts

November 16th, 2009 07:00

Hello. I  wasn't able to find the (start new thread on the forum page so I posted here. I hope this is alright if not, please excuse. I too have cursor problems only I am not using the pad; i use a USB Mouse. Hopefully you can help with this>I have an XPS1530-VistaOS. I had no problems with this until after I had connecteto a VPN. I've already tried the "hide cursor option" but the cursor still jumps around. Again, sorry if I contacted you the wrong way. Thanks, MJackson

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 16th, 2009 15:00

mayjaccks,

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number. It will bring up your computer and drivers. Under input devices, download in your browser the touchpad drivers. Install the touchpad drivers, then restart your computer.

What happens?

Rick

64 Posts

November 18th, 2009 07:00

Install the touchpad drivers as mentioned above and u should be through

6 Posts

November 18th, 2009 11:00

Hi. Thank s for this post..Have been having horrible time with this issue. I triaded (see?) trie ed installing the drivers and restarting as suggested by two other great troubleshooter guys, but no luck.

Did you say to just uninstall the pad? That's the only option I have/ no disable choice. I will try what you suggested. If I can't do it, I'll check with Dell.

Again, thanks to everyone here. What would we do without each other? Maywin

1 Message

August 30th, 2010 09:00

I have a Dell 1440 with the same problem. Jumping cursor.  I re-installed the touchpad driver but I'm still having the problem.  I'm going to try the touchpad settings mentioned above.  I am curious about the keyboard settings the tech adjusted.  Can anyone give me insight as to what I can adjust to reduce conflict with the touchpad?

Thanks!

...scotty

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 08:00

I have been having the same problem with my Dell Latitude E6400 since I bought it about ten months ago.  It has nothing to do with the touchpad or any particular software.  It can happen at any time when typing text.  It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen every day many times a day.  None of the proposed solutions seems to help.  Dell needs to address this issue and resolve it once and for all.  It seems that it runs the gamut of their machines and has something to do with their BIOS or drivers.

5.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2010 10:00

Pad drivers are not really good at stopping this.

The best answer is to download TouchFreeze, a free utility. This program shuts off the pad when you start typing, then turns it on when you stop. It works extremely well.

7 Posts

September 24th, 2010 09:00

I tried TouchFreeze, but it does not work on my Win 7 64-bit OS.  They need to upgrade the program.  Anyway, it is not a touchpad problem.  It happens without ever coming near the touchpad, as others have noted also.

5 Posts

May 8th, 2011 19:00

i am definitely not touching the touch pad...i cannot find the setings for the touchpad anywhere on my computer....windows 7. dell inspiron 1525. office 07

5.2K Posts

May 8th, 2011 20:00

Click on the MOUSE icon in the Control Panel.

12 Posts

May 9th, 2011 07:00

It is touchpad related ..... you may find if you rub the area around the touchpad it will jump !....

Touchfreeze is a good option and you can find a link to it here under additional tools..... you could also try touchpadpal as an alternative.

13 Posts

June 12th, 2011 06:00

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this problem ? I've got a similar problem with my Dell 1011 and have recently posted a request for help on the forum but so far no responses. My problem only shows when online, normal offline applications are fine.

7 Posts

June 12th, 2011 15:00

No, I haven't.  But my computer does it at any time, not only when online.  What disappoints me is the the company does not take the initiative to help resolve the problem.

No Events found!