Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2013 09:00

DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

HI,

I have Dell Inspiron 15R N5010. Having a very unusual problem, once I close the lid of my laptop, and open it again, it doesn't come up to windows. Screen remains blank and sometimes it restarts with blue screen error i.e. DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE.

Secondly, If I am using it, it works normally as if my wifi router is turned off.. wifi gets disconnected as normal but if I turn on my router again... it never connects to wifi again and it hangs.

Please follow the problem in detail::::

Bug check string :::: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Bug Check Code::: 0x0000009f

Caused by driver::: ntoskrnl.exe

Caused by address::: ntoskrnl.exe+75b80

I can provide you the minidump file. Please help me in this  regard.

Thanks,

Nasir

807 Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

1.5K Posts

August 14th, 2013 10:00

Hi Nasir,

The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x0000009F. This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Please run diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

You may also follow the steps provided in the Microsoft article Resolving STOP (Blue Screen) Errors in Windows.

The below shared actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:

• Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  • Scan your computer for computer viruses.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

August 16th, 2013 00:00

Hi Saharsh,

First of all, thanks for the help but I think I need more help because issue is not resolved yet. I ran the diagnostics as you mentioned. It didn't come up with any kind of errors. I have run the  virus scan using Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 but no viruses at all. I ran the windows update but didn't detect any update for drivers. I checked the Dell website for updated drivers but it didn't come up with any. I tried what I could do well but everything in vain. nothing worked.

I think there is a problem with WI-FI driver. I give you the explanation step by step as follows:

1. Laptop is connected through wifi. working fine.

2. lets suppose, router got turned off. wifi will be disconnected from the laptop.

3. here is the problem, once the router will be on.. laptop will not connect to wifi... even I wouldn't be able to open the options for networking and sharing center.

4. Then, I will try to restart the system but It will be stuck at logging off screen... i.e. it will not restart unless or until I don't press the power button for a while to turn it off.

This is all the detail mate. Please help me. I'm literally fed up with this unusual behaviour of my laptop..

Thanks & Best Regards,

Nasir

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 14:00

Hi Nasir,

This appears to be an issue with the Windows. I would recommend that you backup the data and restore the system back to factory settings. Please refer to the link http://dell.to/13nXHsM for steps.

Note: Backup the data as this process leads to data loss.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

June 22nd, 2015 12:00

HI stranger,

It's Erik Forbes your old Dell Service Provider. Hope all is well. 

2 Posts

January 26th, 2016 08:00

I have an Inspiron 15-7568, and I have been having the issues mentioned here since taking it out of the box. (Driver state power failures, glitchy wi-fi) Whenever I try to restart/shut down the laptop, it crashes with a "driver state power failure", and the wi-fi keeps disappearing. (not simply disconnecting, the ability to connect to wi-fi actually disappears) What do I do?!

2 Posts

February 15th, 2016 10:00

Any solutions on this? Having the same issue with the same model laptop.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2016 10:00

I got my laptop to stop giving me that error by updating the drivers. I had to download them on another computer, and transfer them onto the laptop, due to the internet issues, but once I updated the drivers, the problem went away.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the reply - I did figure out that the Intel wireless driver needed to be updated.

No Events found!