Dell Factory Image Restore error, how else do I wipe my hard drive?

I know my hard drive is wrecked.  I ran some kind of diagnostic thing on start up and it said I had no hard drive.  My computer, for one, has flickering screen issues on top of the fact that it just won't turn on, and if by chance I get Windows Vista to start up it freezes right away.  I can move my mouse but it won't let me click anything.  I figured, I don't have too much important stuff on my computer other than videos, Photoshop, and music (all stuff I can get back by re-downloading) so I was planning on wiping my hard drive.  My dad is going to keep the computer when I get a new one and he'll send it to dell to get it fixed (there is plenty of stuff wrong with it..) but I wanted to wipe the hard drive anyways. 

So I do the whole F8, Dell Factory Image Restore, and every so often it freezes, but gets 1/4 of the way through and up pops "error message" and just an OK button.  No message, no explanation.  When I try to click on Dell Factory Image Restore again it says "The tool failed to run.  Try choosing another tool." It wont let me choose another tool even if I wanted to.  I've tried this 3 times to no avail.  Is there any way to wipe my hard drive otherwise?

Seems a bit scattered brained, I know, but I'm already a bit frustrated as this has been a problem for 2 weeks, not being able to turn on my computer.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows Vista

(I wasn't sure where to put this post, and since my computer is a laptop and this is a hardware problem I figured this would be the best spot, if not let me know where to move it to.)

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Dell Factory Image Restore error, how else do I wipe my hard drive?

youdontknow me,

Before you proceed, you should restart your computer and press F12 and run the full diagnostics. Make sure there are no error messages before proceeding.

The procedure is...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If this does not work, then you'll need to...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos