Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

4 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hello Folks,

Downgrade BIOS version to 1.1.0 apparently solved my problem. No restarts occurring now, and no freezes.

I was using safeboot UEFI Off too, and I changed to On. I do not know if it is related to the problem, but someone here with the same problem is using safeboot UEFI Off too?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hopefully the Dell team can verify soon as possible if indeed the latest BIOS update is the culprit of the restarting problem. Surprisingly this all started from the Intel HD Graphics (version 22.20.16.4735) driver installed from the window update which cause the gray / green screen.  

Thanks for the update hjunior.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 07:00

Saltgrass wrote: " Anyone getting a dump file you could put on OneDrive and give us a link "?

:emotion-2:

Anyone tried to create a dump file as suggest by Saltgrass or disable Automatic Restart to see if BSOD error appears as mention in the link below?

Identify and Troubleshoot Windows Crashes and Restarts ...

EDIT:

10 Posts

November 29th, 2017 16:00

I downgraded to 1.1.0 and my laptop's working fine now :)

5 Posts

November 29th, 2017 23:00

Guys, i think i may have found some light to this issue.

I'm not tech geek but do you know something about the Storage Intel Rapid Technology? Because when i'm having freezes my laptop sometimes shows me notifications saying that my SATA Device has been extracted and then pluged in. I make click in the notification and it brings me to this program.

Then i began to see if there is something going on here that is causing this freezes and then i clicked on the Performance options and it shows some Energy and Performance Configurations. This configuration says something like (translating from spanish) "the energy managment helps the SATA device to save energy during inactivity periods when there is no activity of E/S (??) or when they are absent or not in use". Going down there is an options to Disable this energy manager. I choose to disable it and reboot my laptop to make changes enable.

For now, i haven't seen any freezes in my laptop but i'm not sure if there is a problem by letting this option disabled.

I made a quick search about this program and freezes and it has a history of freezes in the past with Windows 10. For now, everything is fixed.

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

Last couple of days I've contacted Dell Support via Twitter and we called for several hours. I've explained them the problem and finally they decided to use a program that takes control of my laptop and ran some diagnostics. They found nothing error and decided to update some drivers.

1. Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer

2. Intel Chipset Device Software Driver

3. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

It's been 3 days after these updates and my PC have not shutdown or restarted itself. I'm not really sure if these updates really fix the problem. But maybe you guys could try it and give me some feedback. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 10:00

Most people mentioned that they already updated the Chipset drivers, however I'm wondering if the Dell installer, didn't installed latest Chipset drivers (Dell Product Support page) correctly onto the systems. For those who like to give it a try, download / install each Chipset drivers manually and one by one in link below. Please reboot system after installing each driver:

Support for Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 | Drivers ... - Dell

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - Version 11.6.0.1035, A00 -  Oct 2  2017

The Intel Chipset Device Software - Version 10.1.1.38, A05 -  Oct 19 2017

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework  - Version 8.2.11000.2996, A04 - Oct 25 Jul 2017

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 10:00

After installing each Chipset drivers, check in Programs & features or Device manager to see if the latest Chipset drivers (versions)are installed. Right click each drivers, select Properties, and then Driver.

For example; Dell Inspiron 3048, windows 10:

December 5th, 2017 12:00

I tried to update Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - Version 11.6.0.1035 several times manually, but every time after restart I found version 11.6.0.1032 in device manager. I don't know why it isn't updated.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2017 19:00

Hello everyone. Dell 7567 owner here. I had to join the forum just for this post. Im experiences the random unexpected shutdowns as if all power is lost and then the the computer will restart itself. Seems to happen with approximately 33% battery remaining. Going through dell support and they tried a few things yesterday, and today no change. It again unexpectedly shut off. I am going back to dell support and also trying to fix this issue myself being a former computer tech so i will post here if i figure anything out.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2017 05:00

Same as Emek, my version's stuck at 11.6.0.1032 despite updating it manually.

December 7th, 2017 19:00

I downgraded my bios to 1.1.0 and random restarts stops

1 Message

December 8th, 2017 08:00

Hi All,  Just joined to follow this thread and say for the record that I've also been experiencing this problem.  Going to try and downgrade the bios to 1.1.0  to see how that goes.  

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 8th, 2017 09:00

Good morning Community,

I have one of the units here with me now.

INSPIRON 15 - 7567

Windows 10 1709

BIOS 1.2.0

Video driver 21.20.16.4574

Dell Wireless-AC 3165 connnection

A/C adapter unplugged

No dump files were found upon taking it out of box

No shut down trips in BIOS logs

I'm now running Youtube on AutoPlay and keeping an eye on it. Here's to hoping the symptom will occur.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 8th, 2017 09:00

Happy to work with you LuisR17.

The test unit is at 61% right now. Let's see what happens.

No Events found!