Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

10 Posts

December 8th, 2017 09:00

First of all thank you for the help Justin.

Please keep in mind that the issue happens while UNPLUGGED and Below 50% Baterry.

Again, thank you.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 8th, 2017 10:00

Understood Emek Durmusoglu. I have 3 Youtube videos running simultaneously right now.  Power unplugged.

December 8th, 2017 10:00

For me it is not related to battery charge amount, generally, it was shut down (before downgrade) during watching videos (youtube or windows media player..)

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 8th, 2017 12:00

The test unit is now down to 15% battery. It did do an abrupt reboot without warning but it was for Windows updates.

Windows update installed:

-Video driver version: 22.20.16.4836

-Adobe Flash Player Vulnerability Update

I'm going to drain it to like 5% and then charge it back up and try again.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 8th, 2017 13:00

If it is shutting down with a Blue Screen, you should have dump files...  If you did, you could place those on your OneDrive and give us a link.

My system, which is a 4K display and i7 processor does not seem to be having any problems with the latest Bios update.

What problems were you having prior to the Bios update?

9 Posts

December 8th, 2017 14:00

When this happens on my system I don't get a blue screen (BSOD). It does a hard reboot (shows a black screen for a couple of seconds) and then starts up Windows; no dump logs generated.

8 Posts

December 9th, 2017 10:00

I also downgraded to BIOS version 1.1.0 from 1.2.0 and ive since been through 1 full battery cycle and had no restart issue. Previously with the 1.2.0 BIOS it seemed to always shut off around 33% battery, as if all power was removed from the laptop, not a proper shutdown or a blue screen. Now, on version 1.1.0, 33% battery came and went and i have had no problems. I will be doing school work all weekend so i will be monitoring this and cycling the battery a few more times to see if it will occur. I will report back here with my findings.

Side note:

I went through Dell Support and the person i was in contact quickly suggested that it was a hardware issue and to send my laptop in to have the motherboard replaced, minimum of 12 days turn around time. (I am a senior in college majoring in Mechanical Engineering, the end of the semester is fast approaching which means a ton of stuff being due at the same time, and this is my main computer.) I did not appreciate this in the least, because i explained to him about this forum and how there a lot of people experiencing the same issue after a recent update from the dell update application or elsewhere. I refused to send it in, at least so prematurely, and proceeded to figure out the issue for myself, hence the BIOS downgrade. 

9 Posts

December 9th, 2017 12:00

I will also add that my power options are set to high performance in both Windows settings and graphics properties (Intel/Nvidia control panels). Can anyone confirm their power plan options on battery? I'm starting to believe this may be a hardware issue after all...

8 Posts

December 10th, 2017 10:00

MikeJ290 i was on Balanced power plan when mine was shutting down. i dont believe that has anything to do with it. Mine has yet to shutdown with the 1.1.0 BIOS downgrade.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2017 14:00

How do I downgrade BIOS update? any video links

8 Posts

December 11th, 2017 06:00

indrajith  go here: www.dell.com/.../drivers      under category select bios. then expand the bios section. next to the version 1.2.0 youll see "Older versions". click that and download the 1.1.0 file. Once downloaded, its as easy as installing any program.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 11th, 2017 08:00

I have just bought this product yet. But apparently in the Turkish forums, if the bios version is 1.2.0 everybody living this problem. So I will stay in version 1.1.0 until the problem is resolved with the new bios version.

December 11th, 2017 09:00

My product is also from Turkey. DELL-Justin C, if you encounter any problems, maybe some the problem is related to some regions (serials).  Also, I mentioned before my laptop couldn't update some newer versions of some updates too (It looks like a successful update, but version didn't change in the system).

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 11th, 2017 10:00

@J.fopp,

You're welcome to DM me with your service tag. I will send feedback regarding the agent that wanted to jump right to a motherboard replacement.

@Community,

I ran my captured unit for about 6 hours with 3 browser tabs open in Edge. All 3 tabs were running auto-play Youtube videos. I didn't receive a BSOD/Restart during that time. I will continue to try and replicate however.

If anyone has a system with a restart happening often, say like once per day, please send me a friend request with your service tag.

Replication attempt details:

-INSPIRON 15 - 7567

-Windows 10 1709 ( not a factory image as I had to load fresh from an ISO due to Windows corruption )

-BIOS 1.2.0

-Video driver 21.20.16.4574 out of box, updated to 22.20.16.4836 half way during testing by Windows Update

-Windows update applied Adobe Flash Player Vulnerability Update during testing

-Dell Wireless-AC 3165 connnection

-Sleep Setting = off

-Screen dim = off

-Power plan = balanced

-Total Non-Microsoft services running = 8

-A/C adapter unplugged and unit tested till 8% of battery charge

-No dump files were found upon taking it out of box before the OS reinstall

-No shut down trips in BIOS logs

4 Posts

December 11th, 2017 13:00

Thanks. so is this the problem with bios update?. saw some other people telling that this is mother board issue?

No Events found!