Chokichi
Bronze

RE: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

I have this same problem! I think it's only happened while on battery and only during potentially GPU related tasks (playing Rimworld or editing video with Lightworks).

Edit: I have been able to reliably reproduce this crash while playing Rimworld. Especially when starting from a manual save.

0 Kudos
hjunior
Bronze

Hello Folks,

Downgrade BIOS version to 1.1.0 apparently solved my problem. No restarts occurring now, and no freezes.

I was using safeboot UEFI Off too, and I changed to On. I do not know if it is related to the problem, but someone here with the same problem is using safeboot UEFI Off too?

Thanks.

LSUFAN51
Diamond

Hopefully the Dell team can verify soon as possible if indeed the latest BIOS update is the culprit of the restarting problem. Surprisingly this all started from the Intel HD Graphics (version 22.20.16.4735) driver installed from the window update which cause the gray / green screen.  

Thanks for the update hjunior.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
Diamond

Saltgrass wrote: " Anyone getting a dump file you could put on OneDrive and give us a link "?

Anyone tried to create a dump file as suggest by Saltgrass or disable Automatic Restart to see if BSOD error appears as mention in the link below?

Identify and Troubleshoot Windows Crashes and Restarts ...

EDIT:

0 Kudos
Gureen
Bronze

I downgraded to 1.1.0 and my laptop's working fine now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jhn01
Bronze

Guys, i think i may have found some light to this issue.

I'm not tech geek but do you know something about the Storage Intel Rapid Technology? Because when i'm having freezes my laptop sometimes shows me notifications saying that my SATA Device has been extracted and then pluged in. I make click in the notification and it brings me to this program.

Then i began to see if there is something going on here that is causing this freezes and then i clicked on the Performance options and it shows some Energy and Performance Configurations. This configuration says something like (translating from spanish) "the energy managment helps the SATA device to save energy during inactivity periods when there is no activity of E/S (??) or when they are absent or not in use". Going down there is an options to Disable this energy manager. I choose to disable it and reboot my laptop to make changes enable.

For now, i haven't seen any freezes in my laptop but i'm not sure if there is a problem by letting this option disabled.

I made a quick search about this program and freezes and it has a history of freezes in the past with Windows 10. For now, everything is fixed.

0 Kudos
jasonariel_
Copper

Last couple of days I've contacted Dell Support via Twitter and we called for several hours. I've explained them the problem and finally they decided to use a program that takes control of my laptop and ran some diagnostics. They found nothing error and decided to update some drivers.

1. Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer

2. Intel Chipset Device Software Driver

3. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

It's been 3 days after these updates and my PC have not shutdown or restarted itself. I'm not really sure if these updates really fix the problem. But maybe you guys could try it and give me some feedback. Thanks.

LSUFAN51
Diamond

Most people mentioned that they already updated the Chipset drivers, however I'm wondering if the Dell installer, didn't installed latest Chipset drivers (Dell Product Support page) correctly onto the systems. For those who like to give it a try, download / install each Chipset drivers manually and one by one in link below. Please reboot system after installing each driver:

Support for Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 | Drivers ... - Dell

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - Version 11.6.0.1035, A00 -  Oct 2  2017

The Intel Chipset Device Software - Version 10.1.1.38, A05 -  Oct 19 2017

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework  - Version 8.2.11000.2996, A04 - Oct 25 Jul 2017

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
Diamond

After installing each Chipset drivers, check in Programs & features or Device manager to see if the latest Chipset drivers (versions)are installed. Right click each drivers, select Properties, and then Driver.

For example; Dell Inspiron 3048, windows 10:

0 Kudos

I tried to update Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - Version 11.6.0.1035 several times manually, but every time after restart I found version 11.6.0.1032 in device manager. I don't know why it isn't updated.