Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2012 22:00

Dell Inspiron 1501 Windows 8 Video Card Problems Please Help!

Hi all,

I've installed windows 8 on my Dell Inspiron 1501.  Windows isn't recognizing my ati radeon xpress 1150 video card. 

I tried to follow this guide to installing Catalyst 10.2 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-hardware/ati-radeon-xpress-1150-video-driver-for-windows-8/8a16818a-0550-401e-8b2c-a2e0ffade10f

It said to go to directory: C:\ATI\SUPPORT\10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display manually to install the driver.  When I go there manually it doesn't seem to have the "packages" folder.  I've tried running all the other applications, including those in display by just going to the folder, but it keeps saying that it isn't supported.

This is above my intellect, but I know some smart computer person out there knows what to do.  Please help me!  My thanks in advance.

240 Posts

November 19th, 2012 03:00

Hi bear1501,

DELL has not tested Windows 8 for INSPIRON 1501 system and hence Windows 8 drivers are not available for this model. However I would recommend you to try downloading vista drivers to see if it works.

Below is the link to download vista drivers.

http://dell.to/QSMc94

Please do get back to us for any assistance.

22 Posts

November 19th, 2012 10:00

Hi.  Thanks for responding to my question.  

I downloaded the driver and it wouldn't install.  I then looked online and found that there is a way to run a driver in compatibility mode.  I did this and it still failed to install.  It states that all packages installed correctly except ATI HDMI Audio Driver.  

Does anyone else know a way to make this work?

Thanks for your help.

27 Posts

November 19th, 2012 15:00

How did you get Windows 8 to install on your 1501?  I have Win8 Pro x64 retail and I cannot get past the initial start screen, the Windows Icon shows on the screen and the little dots go in a circle and never stop.  I also cannot get it to load a Windows 8 To Go thumb drive, again it only gives the initial start up screen with the dots and goes no further.

22 Posts

November 19th, 2012 18:00

i installed windows 8 without any problems at all.  the only thing i need to work out now is adjusting the screen resolution.  i used a disk to install.

240 Posts

November 20th, 2012 02:00

Hi bear1501,

Under device manager see if the ATI driver is listed, if it is listed then the drivers seems to be installed so change the screen resolution.

If the driver is not to be found under device manager then nothing can be done.

Try updating windows to see if it helps.

Please do get back to us for further information or assistance.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 20th, 2012 03:00

None of the Dell drivers will work as they are 32 bit only.

Download the driver here opposed to the one you were instructed to: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Install 7zip 64 bit .msi right click the file and select 7zip > extract to "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc". you will now have a folder called 10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.

Press [Windows] and [Pause|Break] next select Device manager.

Look for the Video Device under display adapters.

Right click the device you wish to update and select Update Driver Software.

Next select browse my computer for driver software

Navigate to the extracted folder 10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc, it should search here and all the subfolders for the driver.

Select next, next then finish.

22 Posts

November 20th, 2012 04:00

lol.  but you didn't put a screenshot of how to turn the computer on.  thanks for this detailed post!  it is great and you did a step i wasn't doing.  i will try this later today and report back my results.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2012 13:00

I have the same problem, installation screen  starts an then stops in the same moment as yours with Win 8 Pro x64 upgrade. Have you tryed  Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to see if your hardware is compatible with this version of win 8? I have on my old XP OS but my system partition is less than 20gb and it does not let me to go ahead untill I find more space, so I can not tell if it is!

27 Posts

November 20th, 2012 19:00

I've tried many methods of install and nothing works.  I used the same disk that I used on 6 other computers and each one of them worked fine.  I have another computer with the same processor, the only difference is the video card, upgrade assistant says it should work fine, but it will not get past the loading screen.  I tried to do an upgrade install today and it rebooted twice, but stuck on the loading screen.  I'm starting to believe it will never work.

22 Posts

November 20th, 2012 21:00

Have you upgraded to the latest bios on the inspiron 1501?  If you haven't go to dell and download it and try again.

22 Posts

November 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi Philip.

Thanks for trying to help.  Unfortunately it still says that my driver is up to date, thus it still will not allow me to adjust my screen.

I've read on several forums of people that have gotten it to work by some means.  I've tried them all and none seem to work.

If anyone finds a way please let me know.  

Thanks for your help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 20th, 2012 23:00

Try from Windows Update Catalogue:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=3b08f3c8-03c9-4e4a-a9a8-0cad5dd0d363 

Click Add to Basket (don't worry you don't have to pay anything). View basket and select download.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ViewBasket.aspx

The file you download should be in a folder called "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Radeon Xpress 1150" in this folder should be a .cab file called AMD64-en-20034195_75ee2a5edf1ba3f0f08ccaceaf43218f6619a5be extract this with 7zip and again attempt installation via device manager.

22 Posts

November 21st, 2012 20:00

Argg...I followed all of the steps and it still said that my driver was already up to date.  It is strange how some people seem to have gotten it to work for Inspiron 1501's but mine is having trouble.

Thanks for trying to help Philip.  I appreciate it.

27 Posts

November 21st, 2012 20:00

Try uninstalling the current driver under Computer Management with the "Delete the Driver Software for this Device" checked, then reinstall using Philip's instructions.  I'm still frustrated at the fact that I can't even install the operating system or I would give you better insight on how to get your video card fixed.  Where did you get the disk that you installed on your 1501?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 04:00

Try uninstalling the current driver under Computer Management with the "Delete the Driver Software for this Device" checked, then reinstall using Philip's instructions.  I'm still frustrated at the fact that I can't even install the operating system or I would give you better insight on how to get your video card fixed.  Where did you get the disk that you installed on your 1501?

bear1501 When uninstalling ensure the Delete the Driver Software for this Device is Checked.

xAngel9629 Did you try upgrading or try installing via A Clean Install as here?

No Events found!