Highlighted
SirAwesome
Bronze

Dell Inspiron 1520 Microphone Problems

I have been having problems with both the built in microphone and any headset that I plug into my laptop. I have been looking through windows but it doesn't seem to recognize the built in microphone anymore and doesn’t want to recognize the headset I plug in either. When I plug in my headset I normally got the beep that I plug something in, and a window would pop up asking what I wanted to use that jack for, and I always selected the mic. option. I have tried looking for new/updated audio drivers but haven’t found any on the dell website. And to no avail I emailed dell support and they told me to make sure my web cam was also working properly, only problem was that I don’t have a webcam. So after I told them that they told me I needed to do a factory restore/ clean install of vista just to fix the microphone. Worthless, what should I expect I guess. I really appreciate your guy help with this. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jim Coates
Diamond

Re: Dell Inspiron 1520 Microphone Problems

"and a window would pop up asking what I wanted to use that jack for, and I always selected the mic. option. "

Go to Start/Control Panel/ Sigmatel (actually that is the path in XP, it might be different in Vista) and check the 'allow popups' box. Then plug in the mic again and test it. If that doesn't work I'd reinstall the Sigmatel driver even though it is not an updated one.

Jim

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

I forgot about this. There are several Sigmatel audio drivers compatible with the 1520. Currently it is shipping with the R167846, but the one reported to make the mic array work best is

Sigmatel audio driver R157031

Forum member sportscar wrote this about how to install if you have a different driver:

"You must first completely remove the original drivers from your system [ by right clicking ]. Windows will then install a "generic" driver when you reboot. After this basic generic driver is installed (which will not work either), install the R157031."

This is also supposed to fix the low mic level.

Jim

0 Kudos
SirAwesome
Bronze

Thanks a lot for the help. I downloaded the driver and uninstaller the current driver, restarted and then installed the new driver and restarted again. That did not fix the problem and my computer was showing that there was no sound driver installed and the microphone still didn't work. So I reverted back to a restore point before I uninstalled the current driver. So instead of uninstalling the original driver first,I just ran the driver update and then restarted after. I had the same problem again, no sound driver was detected so the speakers didn't work and also the microphone still didn't work. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Sorry for the bum steer. Several posters had reported using that driver on a 1520 with Vista. The only other thing I have about the internal mic is this about turning it on:

"Open the Dell Webcam Center, and look for Audio Source in the bottom right corner. Click on Microphone/Line In and then go to More, and select Microphone Array (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC). Once the Audio Source says Microphone Array (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) then the microphone should be active." --- Rollie

Re the external mic, did you try the tip about the popup box? You said Windows doesn't 'recognize' the external mic. How did it recognize it when it was working, by showing the popup box?

Jim

0 Kudos
SirAwesome
Bronze

Ok thanks for the help. After some fooling around with a dell cd, I managed to get both the window to pop back up again and the headset and the built in microphone to working again. Now may last question is that the built in microphone seems to not be picking up as much sound as it had been before the whole problem started. I was wondering how to adjust the sensitivity for the built in microphone. I cant do it through the dell web cam center either because I don't have a built in web cam.
0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Low volume with the internal mic has been a common complaint. The only solution I have seen is to install the driver I linked to before.

Jim

0 Kudos
SirAwesome
Bronze

One last question jimco, I have been receiving complaints also about my headset also having a low volume (even after I reinstalled the driver from the link you gave me). I wondering if there is a built in microphone boost for windows vista. And thanks again for all your help jimco !!! I found the boost for the headset, but for some reason the boost for the built in microphone isn't showing up as an option.

Message Edited by SirAwesome on 11-10-2007 11:36 AM
0 Kudos
liz1111
Copper

Gracias , sí funciono muy bien tu procedimiento. SAludos
0 Kudos
liz1111
Copper

Hola Yimco,

Yo instalé el driver 167846 en mi Inspiron 1521 y funcionó a la perfección.  Mi problema era que el sonido estaba muy muy bajo ( low low) . Gracias nuevamente

Saludos

0 Kudos