Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2009 17:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 Function Keys

I recently bought the Inspiron 1545 and to be honest was actually quite struck by how simple everything was in the design. However there is only one problem that I found when I use the laptop. In order for the function keys to be used, I would need to press Fn+(Function Key) Eg. Fn+F1. Now obviously function keys are supposed to act like a shortcut key for certain activies. This actually defeats there purpose. Instead by pressing those keys without the Fn key, I would be able to use the multimedia keys and anything else on the keys with a white symbol on.

I was wondering whether there was any way in which I could swap round the functuion of the keys so that I can use the function keys without having to press Fn?

Thank You.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 09:00

There is a much more simpler way to do this without entering into BIOS settings which requires restarting your laptop.

Just go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Adjust commonly used mobility settings -> Fn Key Behavior

Change it to "Function key" :emotion-1:

1 Message

February 16th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for posting this.  In Windows 7, I went to Windows Mobility Center and changed to "Function Key".  That took all of 1.5 minutes.  I was on the phone with multiple transfers with Dell for close to 30 minutes. :emotion-39:

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 27th, 2009 17:00

There should be an F Lock key that toggles between the 2 functions.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2009 12:00

I'm sorry but I don't know where that key is.

[EDIT]

I've managed to fix this problem. I went into the BIOS and under the Function Keys Settings I swapped it round. It's all good now. Thanks for your help anyways.

1 Message

July 27th, 2009 21:00

hey sorry, i'm not too good with computers, could you explain step by step how you went into BIOS and did that? it'd really be a great help to me, thanks

5 Posts

July 28th, 2009 12:00

The best thing to do is that if you have a 1545 Inspiron then it should have come with a quick start guide. In that small booklet you will find instructions on how to enter the BIOS and also change certain settings and all. I think swapping the Functions Keys is included in thw Multimedia Buttons (or Keys) part of the booklet.

1 Message

August 12th, 2009 23:00

I am having the same issue.  I do not have the quick start guide though.  can you please help with a step-by-step on this please.  Thanks!

1 Message

August 16th, 2009 16:00

I also have no booklet. Any help would be much appreciated!

5 Posts

August 16th, 2009 19:00

-Make sure you know How To Enter The BIOS before using this set of instructions taken from the Setup Guide for the Inspiron Laptops-

You can use the Function Key Behaviour setting in the System Setup (BIOS) utility to configure the media control keys. The options in the Function Key Behaviour setting are:

Multimedia Key First - This is the default option. Press any multimedia key directly. For function key, press + the required function key.

Function Key First - Press any function key directly. For multimedia key, press + the required multimedia key.

NOTE: Multimedia Key First option is active only in the operating system. During POST, press or directly.

1 Message

May 4th, 2010 07:00

This method worked beautifully for me!  It was quick and easy!  Thanks! =)

Thanks for posting this.  In Windows 7, I went to Windows Mobility Center and changed to "Function Key".  That took all of 1.5 minutes.  I was on the phone with multiple transfers with Dell for close to 30 minutes. :emotion-39:

2 Posts

May 12th, 2010 23:00

What if I dont have the Fn Key  in my Windows Mobility Center?

November 17th, 2010 08:00

This is exactly the kind of corporate garbage that people are fed up with. Who in the hell is dell to change the defaults for the f1-f112 keys, and then to set it in the bios. 

On top of all the garbage software they throw on these cheap 3rd world country computers, is garbage. Screw dell they probly help run drugs for the US government. 

2 Posts

December 27th, 2010 04:00

Hi Anvesh - thanks buddy, you made my day! I was sooooo frustrated with having to press the Fn key all the time. I thought I bought the wrong laptop :-)

By the way: very strange that changing that option is so difficult to find! On my N5030 I could only locate it under the Dell-specific "Windows Mobility Center". Why isn't this under "Keyboard"??

2 Posts

December 29th, 2010 11:00

Hi,

Dell incorporated this toggle button of changing the Fn key behavior only under "Windows Mobility Center" and not under "Keyboard" so as to discriminate it from the routine keys settings and to group along with the extra add-in features.

Hope this thread clarifies everyone's doubt. :emotion-1:

Regards,

Anvesh

2 Posts

February 19th, 2011 07:00

That worked perfectly for me (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Adjust commonly used mobility settings -> Fn Key Behavior

Change it to "Function key).  I was trying to help my sister, who was on the internet and suddenly lost internet access.  The FN+F2 did nothing (I kept asking, are you sure you're pressing and holding FN etc..).  No matter what she did, the FN combo didn't work.  I looked like a hero when I said, OK, go into control panel etc... what she found was the Wireless Network read as "Turn On", but was grayed out.  When she went into the Function Key option, I had her de-select the Use the FN for the Wireless.  Once she did that and hit apply, she received a message that the wireless would now be turned on.  On the previous screen, the "Turn On", now read as "Turn On".  She can now control the radio via the "Mobility Setting".  She's on the internet and is very happy as she has "work from home" stuff to do.

No Events found!