Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2017 00:00

Dell Inspiron 5559 Core i7 8GB RAM Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Linux Mint 18.1 Support

Hi, I have purchased this laptop with Windows 10 Home pre-Installed. But due to some Professional requirements, I want to install a Developer friendly linux distro on it. I'll be using many VMs in that distro along with a possible installation of Windows via Wine. Therefore, I want to be sure about the aftermath of all this, including Driver support and battery usage. Has any fellow developer tried the above mentioned linux distros (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Linux Mint 18.1) on it without any problems? I have checked that it supports Ubuntu 14.04 but want to use the latest LTS versions. Just want to make sure that nothing gets messed up.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2017 06:00

Hi, thanks for the response. This laptop comes with AMD and Intel HD, not NVIDIA. Hard Drive isn't an issue, since the windows image can be downloaded from the Dell website itself. I was just worried about the drivers and touchscreen, which right now doesn't seem to be an issue by looking at your experience. Thanks again.

1 Message

February 17th, 2017 06:00

You could purchase an extra SSD or maybe a couple of them, replace the internal drive with an SSD, saving the factory Windows OS in case you want to change it back.  Just a thought.

I have put Linux Mint 18.1 on two new Dell Inspiron i7 7000 series and it installed and ran without issue.  Be SURE you get Nvidia graphics!

No Events found!